From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2015 Installation failed...again

One year ago, I reported my failed LV 2014 installation on a Friday evening:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-2014-Install-failed/m-p/2948108

I am (not) happy to report that nothing changed and LV 2015 Installation failed this Friday afternoon with the exact same message:

LV 2015 Install Error.png

I can't reboot my Windows virtual machine until next week, so I'll have to wait and see whether old tricks still work (they probably do).

Meanwhile, I succesfully reinstalled LV 2013 32 bits and MathScript 2013 (the latter being what I was interested in in the first place, but I was misled into downloading the 2015 version of it, which required LV 2015, which...)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,578 Views)
So the point of this post is......

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,417 Views)

You should probably be admin/(run as) if you are expecting a LV install to go smoothly.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,339 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

For X to let NI know that something is wrong.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,210 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@mikeporter wrote:

For X to let NI know that something is wrong.

But there is nothing wrong, except that X. doesn't know how to read error messages.

The error message is clear that X. needs be installing LabVIEW as an administrator.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,168 Views)

X is an administrator. Was an administrator. Always has been.

As stated in numerous NI KB pages, they have no clue why this happens, how to prevent it, so it keeps happening.

The solution is simple but annoying.

You have to reboot.

Message 6 of 8
(3,073 Views)

So reboot, already ...  But wait a minute, isn't 2015 supposed to be released tomorrow (or the next day or so)?  If you are installing the Beta, doesn't it "expire" around now?

BS

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,028 Views)

Here is the full story: I wanted to try out something with MathScript RT, which I hadn't installed. I looked the toolkit up on NI.com and was sent to a page with all toolkits and LV. Downloaded it without checking much of anything and was told during installation that I needed LV 2015 to do that (my mistake). Concluded that I had been sent to the LV 2015 download page, to which I returned to install LV 2015.

What happened is history.

Just as an aside, I tried to reinstall LV 2013 32 bit to try the MathScript toolkit (which is incompatible with LV 2013 64 bit) and that install went like a charm. Go figure.

Yes, LV 2015 is out and downloadable since at least Friday afternoon.

And since my point has been missed by the best and brightest: I haven't had a LV install go without a disturbing error message like this for a while (I realize that this sentence's structure is a bit over the top so here is it in plain English: it always fails the first time). There is no warning about it in the readme, and looking for a solution on ni.com is a cat and mouse game (in fact there is no real solution). The practical fix is indeed simple (but still requires a reinstall). Since this is a common issue (at least since a few releases), maybe someone ought to look into it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,965 Views)