From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2013 disconnect VI from library

I have read http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CCBEF223C80F3D598625742C006B4F24

but I don't have the option mentioned

I want to disconnect a VI from the library, and I cannot find a way to do it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,682 Views)

You could just delete the VI from the library.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,671 Views)
In my experience, that option is only enabled if LabVIEW can't find the library when it is opening the VI.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,654 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

You could just delete the VI from the library.

I tried doing that, but then the VI complains that it needs to be in the library.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,635 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
In my experience, that option is only enabled if LabVIEW can't find the library when it is opening the VI.

Mike...

So, what is the best option of prying a VI away from a lvlib file?

I made a copy of a file1 that is in the lvlib.

I cannot seem to be able to divorce that copy file2 from the lvlib file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,633 Views)

From help:

This VI claims to be part of a library, but that library does not claim to own this VI

If a project library owns a VI, the VI cannot be executed or edited unless that project library is loaded into memory. LabVIEW cannot load the project library that owns this VI.

To correct this error, find and load the project library or select  File» Disconnect from Library on the VI.  Using the Disconnect from Library option breaks the ownership of the VI by the project.  If the project library is password protected, you must provide that password to disconnect the VI from the project library

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,624 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

From help:

This VI claims to be part of a library, but that library does not claim to own this VI

If a project library owns a VI, the VI cannot be executed or edited unless that project library is loaded into memory. LabVIEW cannot load the project library that owns this VI.

To correct this error, find and load the project library or select  File» Disconnect from Library on the VI.  Using the Disconnect from Library option breaks the ownership of the VI by the project.  If the project library is password protected, you must provide that password to disconnect the VI from the project library

I loaded the lvlib file. The problem is that I don't see File» Disconnect

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,614 Views)

Sorry about reviving this last year post, but I started to be annoyed by this kind of "bug"? I do not have the "Disconnect the VI from owning lvlib" option.

Scenario: I want to create another lvlib using some driver VIs coming with a Keithley driver. These VIs are under instr.lib and inside a lvlib. I want to re-use these VIs as starting point for another Keithley device.

As a workaround I can temporary delete the owner lvlib from my computer, and then I get the "Disconnect the VI from owning lvlib" option for the VIs copied physically into my new lvlib folder.

But I do not understand why LabVIEW does not provide me a simple way to do this???

edit: LabVIEW 2015 SP1 32 bit

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,409 Views)
I definitely see what you mean. The way I deal with it it to use Save As. One of the options is to save a copy that is disconnected from the original library.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 9 of 12
(5,403 Views)

Brilliant! 🙂

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12