LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2011 Bug?

Hello all! I think I have found a bug in LabVIEW 2011 because I have not seen this problem appear in previous versions.

The problem that I have (unfortunately very long after start of developing) is that the executing while loop in a VI stops iterating if I click on the menu of a ring control or an enum. If I wire a numeric to the "i" indicator of a while loop and click to open the drop down menu of a ring cotrol or enum, the iterations halt until I have finished selecting. This also holds true for any local variables in a 2nd or 3rd while loop that are directly connected to these enum or ring controls. The problem arrives most vivedly when a case structure is wired to one of these two controls. Does anyone have a workaround so that I may still have a drop downmenu? 

When I make an example VI to try and replicate this behavior, it doesn't happen for some reason. 

If anyone could give me some insight into why this is happening or a nice workaround where I can still have a drop down menu, I would greatly appreciate it! 

The example I've attached does not replicate the behaviour but it is a simplified version of the kind of setup I have in my VI...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,209 Views)

Is there a reason you are running this VI as fast as you possible can?

You should have at least a small wait function inside the while loop.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,192 Views)

No reason really. This is just how the framework is layed out in the real VI. I just don't understand why when I access the drop down menu, while the drop down menu is still opened, the while loop pauses its iterations...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,189 Views)

Then try putting the wait function in there to see if it helps.

It is kind of hard to troubleshoot further when you present a VI that does not show the problem.

The purpose of the wait statement is to allow the CPU an opportunity to swap threads and handle other activities such as screen updates.  (Are you sure your VI as actually stopped iterating?  Or has the display update just paused and not showing the updating indicator values?  How many CPU's do you have?)

If you have code that is tied to running in the user interface thread, and you have other user interface activities occurring, then they could be conflicting with each other and not allowing time for the other activities to execute.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,182 Views)

That is most likely what is going on then since the problem isn't present here when I isolate that one part, however, only manipulating that one part is causing the pause.

Could you suggest an alternative drop down menu option that is not directly tied to a ring or enum? For example, a drop down menu that changes the case structure's selected page in accordance to what was selected on this drop down menu...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,179 Views)