LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2011 Block Diagram/Front Panel reacts slowly

Solved!
Go to solution

Since today the block diagram as well as the Front Panel of my application (using LabVIEW 11.0) became very slow. Any modification (add item, move item, scroll etc.) takes more than a second. Restarting LabVIEW helps for some time and then it becomes slow again. Restarting the PC did not help either.

So, I tried to remove all items added today but the effect remains the same. When I try to close the Project Explorer LabVIEW does not react anymore (not responding). Very annoying.

I tried also modifying the settings of the graphics card: nope.

What do I do? Start the project again?

Any suggestions except not using LabVIEW for further projects? Smiley Frustrated

Would be appreciated.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(3,705 Views)

BMajor7 wrote:

Any suggestions except not using LabVIEW for further projects?:smileyfrustrated:

seems to be funnySmiley Very Happy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(3,696 Views)

Funny? No, not really. Believe me!

The LV 11.0 is causing me a lot of trouble. LV 10.0 was not that problematic. But I have a issue or crash nearly every day. Very funny if the file recovery does not appear afterwards...

I really regret the decision having used LabVIEW 11.0 for this project.

Best regards

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(3,693 Views)

No one?

I guessed so...:mansad:

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(3,665 Views)

some suggestions:

1.Using EXpress VIs and the  dynamic datatype may slow applications down.

2.Also placing graphics or control/indicators on top of each other,may force the front panel to be updated more often.

3.Another things that slow things down are graph or chart that contain a lot of data.

You please check all these,there are so many other reasons that make application very slow.So it would be better if you post your code.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(3,662 Views)

Yes, I am familiar with these cases. But wouldn't the GUI then always be slow? As I said, the GUI works fine for some time but starts slowing down out of a sudden (at least no extraordinary interaction I might be aware of). I have removed all items that have been placed since this phenomenon occurred - it still happens! The only thing that works until now is restarting LV.

EDIT: the code is quite large and part of a project that is not supposed to become public. We have tried it on another company PC though and this issue did not appear there until now. I am using Win 7 and LV 11.0 SP 1, both 64 Bit using two monitors.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(3,655 Views)

Some people have anecdotally mentioned that an "advanced heirarchy" (circular references) in classes has slowed down the IDE.

I've heard that NI will sign an NDA - then you can share your code with an apps engineer.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(3,629 Views)

Computers don't run find and then start actine weird. There is probably something that has changed.

Could be you you have been filling the disk drive and now it is almost full or needs deframented.

The disk drive could be starting to fail (backup NOW).

A new anti-virus update may be cicumventing LV and slowing things down.

A new program may be running that is killing the CPU.

A virus may have been introduced killing CPU.

That is just my 2 cents,

Another Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 29
(3,627 Views)

You might try mass compiling your VIs. Since you mentioned crashes you could have a corrupted VI somewhere and the mass compile may clear it up. Do you have the separate compiled from source option set? If so, remove all of your cached comiled code and let LV create new object files.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(3,611 Views)

Is your navigation window open?

If the navigation window is open, and your block diagram is very large, then it takes the PC a long time to redraw the navigation window whenever you start making changes to the block diagram such as dragging functions around.  Likewise if the the front panel is large when moving around FP objects.

If the nav. window is open, try closing it and see if things seem quicker.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(3,593 Views)