From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2009 Shared Variable Crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

Attached is a sample LV2009 code which crashes everytime I run this VI. It has a while loop in which a single process shared variable is read and some array operations performed. It seems to be related to the combination of shared variable and the delete array. Anyone seen this before in LV2009?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,745 Views)

Madan,

This project and VI definitely crashes LabVIEW 2009 (I can replicate it on my computer). If you recreate the project, variable, and VI in a new project though you don't get the crash and you're able to run the VI as is. This tells me that something is corrupted with this particular project or VI file. It's hard to say what is the cause (software does crazy things sometimes) but something has put one of them (project or VI) into a bad state. I suggest trying the steps of creating this again in a new project and try it again. Post back your results so that the community is better able to help out. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,719 Views)

Madan,

Did a new project, variable, and VI still crash LabVIEW or was it ok? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,701 Views)

Grant,

I created a new project, variable library and VI. It still crashes like my first project.

Thanks,

Madan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,695 Views)

Madan,

Then it might be your software. I was able to create the exact same project, variable, and VI and it function properly but your project crashed my LabVIEW. Does every project and VI crash your LabVIEW? You might want to consider an uninstall/reinstall of LabVIEW. I know it's painful (believe me I have to do it once a month because I'm always working with hard customer issues) but if the same functionality is crashing yours but it works on mine then that would point to something with your system. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,691 Views)

Grant,

I already did a clean reinstall once as explained in this link below

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?message.uid=970579#U970579

1) If you create an indicator for the shared variable, it does not crash anymore.

2) If you disable the delete from array and just read the shared variable it does not crash as well

I have tried this in atleast 3 different LabVIEW installations (different desktops) now and seen it crash consistently.

All my other LabVIEW projects/VIs are running ok. 

Thanks

Madan

Message Edited by Madan on 02-09-2010 11:37 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,684 Views)

Madan,

Here is the exact project folder and everything that you attached. I can open and run this without crashing my computer. Can you open and run the VI on yours?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,665 Views)

Grant,

I downloaded your project and able to run without crashing

Just to be sure, I loaded my old project to make sure it crashes and it did crash like before.

Did you make any changes or recompile the project to fix it?

Thanks,

Madan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,639 Views)

Madan,

I just opened the project you attached and ran the VI and then zipped it up again. I didn't explicitly mass compile the project but it did compile it to my system when I ran it and saved it when closing. You said that you tried this on 3 different computers that have LabVIEW, did all three of those computers use the same DVD/CD to install LabVIEW from? Have you installed any LabVIEW patches (when you start up LabVIEW the splash screen will say LabVIEW2009f1 or f2 or f3 if you have)? Could you post an image of the NI Software you have installed (Open up Measurement and Automation Explorer and expand the Software tree underneath My System)?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,628 Views)

Grant,

All the LV2009 installations were from the same set of DVDs. I installed these patches

1) LabVIEW 2009 F3 Patch

2) LabVIEW Realtime module 2009 F2 patch

Please see attached the image of NI Software installed on the PC

Madan

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,620 Views)