From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV2013 not recognising Windows CE device

Solved!
Go to solution

An interesting problem has occurred, this morning after working properly all day yesterday, my LV 2013 on XP suddenly decided that it did not recognise the Touch Panel Windows CE 5.0 Device as a supported device. This had worked fine all the rest of the week and has suddenly decided not to work.

The licences for LV and the touch-panel module are all up to date and correct, Activesync 4.5 recognises the device and allows you to browse its folders. Is this just a compatability issue between Windows CE and LV2013 or what? Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,749 Views)

Do you have a firewall or virus scanner software up and running on the PC? Maybe it got updated and now interrupts the communication....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,709 Views)

The firewall is not the issue, checked that when I went through everything as the problem first came up. I have managed to back save the work and reopen it with LV2012, so the issue is most likely in the resource pack for the Touch-Panel module that comes with 2013 not including the appropriate device data.

However if there are any other possible causes to check point them out,  I would like to get 2013 working with the touch panel so I can un-install 2012.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,689 Views)

Hello ogk.nz

Maybe you could double-check the normal procedure for TPC configuration with LabVIEW.

National Instruments Touch Panel Computers using LabVIEW

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,668 Views)

@ogk.nz wrote:

An interesting problem has occurred, this morning after working properly all day yesterday, my LV 2013 on XP suddenly decided that it did not recognise the Touch Panel Windows CE 5.0 Device as a supported device. This had worked fine all the rest of the week and has suddenly decided not to work.

The licences for LV and the touch-panel module are all up to date and correct, Activesync 4.5 recognises the device and allows you to browse its folders. Is this just a compatability issue between Windows CE and LV2013 or what? Any help greatly appreciated.

Would it be possible for you to explain your application? I faced a similar problem a few years back, and I managed to keep the connection alive for weeks just by optimizing the code working on Windows CE device.

Active Sync on Windows CE devices run on a lower priority, and based on the memory/processor usage on Windows CE device, it can first stop the ActiveSync Serivce. If your Windows CE device is getting detected but you are facing problems with communication not getting established, then this is a common problem faced. You can try a workaround mentioned here

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,662 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ogk.nz

Hi,

Could this be the reason? Check the note which declares that LabVIEW 2012 SP1 Touch Panel Module is the last version to support WinCE devices.

-Matti A.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,651 Views)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you could double-check the normal procedure for TPC configuration with LabVIEW.

National Instruments Touch Panel Computers using LabVIEW

I have been through and checked all of the procedures outlined here and they do not apply, I am using a third party windows CE based device that connects to LV through the ActiveSync rather then through an FTP client set up. The problem revolves around an inability to select the correct target as the specific device type (Touch Panel Windows CE 5.0 Device) is not listed under the available targets.

Would it be possible for you to explain your application? I faced a similar problem a few years back, and I managed to keep the connection alive for weeks just by optimizing the code working on Windows CE device.

Active Sync on Windows CE devices run on a lower priority, and based on the memory/processor usage on Windows CE device, it can first stop the ActiveSync Serivce. If your Windows CE device is getting detected but you are facing problems with communication not getting established, then this is a common problem faced. You can try a workaround mentioned here

My program is a remote application that runs solely off the Windows CE device, it communicates with some serial devices and reports their outputs before saving the information to a Micro-SD card. It is not even a matter of keeping the connection alive, when you connect the touch panel to the computer ActiveSync recognises and connects without issue and remains connected while the module is connected.

Could this be the reason? Check the note which declares that LabVIEW 2012 SP1 Touch Panel Module is the last version to support WinCE devices

Well this would probably be the reason. Given that the NI tech I spoke to on the phone was unaware of this change to the touch-panel module it may explain why I was unaware of it. I guess until the hardware gets upgraded I am going to have to stick to LV2012 rather then upgrading to 2013.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,612 Views)