LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV Project Documentation

Hello

Could someone guide me on how to go with Project documentation of LV software.Is there any tool available for auto generation/semi-auto??

There is a Documentation option in VI Property,whether that can be used,if so how??

TIA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,171 Views)

Here is the list of documentation that NI looks for during the CLD test.

Documentation
• Is the VI documented through File»VI Properties?
• Are the subVIs documented?
• Are wires documented with appropriate labels?
• Is the functionality documented?
    • Block diagram level
    • Main and nested structure level
• Do front panel controls and indicators have descriptive names?
• Do VIs have descriptive icons?
• Are constants documented?
• Do front panel controls have associated tip strips?
• Does the top-level VI have a non-default icon?
    • Do all subVIs have consistent icon design? consistent icon design?

For project level documentation, I have found the bookmark manager to be extremely helpful.  Both with adding easily found notes, and just managing the TODO of the project as a whole

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/labview-news-english/2013/10/18/5-things-you-need-to-know-about...

Finally, as for "auto / semi-auto documentation" the key there is just good programming practies.

• Use names that make sense.  Both for subVIs and for controls and indicators.

• Keep like data together in clusters and use bundle by name / unbundle by name.

• Use proper data flow.

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 5
(3,148 Views)

I agree and kudo what bowenm said. Additionally, a member sabri.jatlaoui was working on some tools for some automated documentation here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,125 Views)

LabVIEW also lets you place any file in the project (as far as I know) so I have had people send me projects that include a text file or pdf readme explaining, at a high level, the project and its components which I greatly appreciated.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,074 Views)

I think Bowen gave a good list of low level code documentation, in terms of general "big picture" application doc, I suggest you have a look at NIWeek session "How to eat the elephant" (I think you can also find a video of the session here), it discusses architecture and give good guideline on how to document the architecture.

Hoope this helps

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,052 Views)