From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV FPGA Delay seen between subsequent SCTL's

Solved!
Go to solution

HI All,

I'm developing a custom SPI using LV FPGA and a FlexRIO with a 6581 FAM. The Micro-controller I need to communicate with requires that I write 16 bits of data on a clock rising edge followed by 8 clock cycles to clock the data through the micro and process in the ALU. Then I need to supply a further 16 clocks to clock out the 16 bit result. I have initially done this with 3 Single Cycle Timed Loops, one for each section. I pass the IO references from each SCTL to the next SCTL to get the correct dataflow. When I look at the signals with a logic analyser I can see each of the sections works correctly but there is an approximate 504nS delay between each section of the code. I sort of expected maybe a single clock cycle delay between SCTL's but not this much. Anyone got any ideas on what might be causing this and how I might overcome this issue?

Thanks all,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,355 Views)

Hi All,

I’ve been looking a little more into this and have found that if I change the project base clock from the standard 40 MHz clock to the derived 20 MHz clock I am using for the SCTL’s then the delay between the SCTL’s becomes 1 base clock cycle (1/20 MHz = 50 nS). So it would appear that there is an issue when you cross clock boundaries even if you do nothing in between. Anyway with this in mind I can possibly come up with a work around. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,342 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nickstorton

Instead of using several separate SCTLs, consider using one SCTL as a state machine that can handle all three steps.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,331 Views)

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the reply. This is the architecture I usually use when writting code running on the PC but for this project on the FPGA, and with it being rather simple, I wanted to write it without the need for "hidden code". I went with this solution to solve the issue in the end, but you always learn something from these issues and that is, that even if the SCTL is using a clock derived from the main base clock, if you cross a clock domain the FPGA compiler will force a re-sync of the clocks and you will get a delay between subsequent code blocks.

Thanks again,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,307 Views)