LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV FPGA : Custom Xilinx Parameters

Dear,

By parsing the LV FPGA project file (lvproj), I have realized it is possible to specify some options to the Xilinx tools. the fileds is: "Comp.CustomXilinxParameters"

Does any of you have a experience or information of what can be done with this field ? I know for intance, it is possible to perform multithreading with Xilminx tools at the Place and Route phase. Would it be possible to do so by specifying a command in this lvproj field ? that would be very interesting because compilation time for VST can take a long time (6 h++).

thanks in advance !

Cordialement / Regards

Patrice NOUVEL
Project Leader
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,588 Views)

Hi Patrice,

I am afraid this is not something you are allowed to modify as this is not supported.

If your trouble comes the compilation time that's too long, you may find other to try and lower it.

1 / From the build specification under your FPGA target, you have the possibility to modify the compilation method on the Xilinx Options Page. You can modify this parameter to Minimum Compilation Time.

2 / Do not forget you have the possibility to queue multiple compilation. Depending on the case, it may or may not help you saving time.

3 / The compilation time is mainly due to the use of Xilinx Compiler's action. This compiler will work as fast as your computer will allow it too. Therefor you may consider 3 actions to improve the compilation time :

- Use a faster processor

- Make sure no application is running in parrallel while compiling

- Use a performant, dedicated computer that will remotely perform the compiling

Other users may add additionnal considerations to mine.

I hope this helps,

Have a nice day,

M-Junior

Nb : Nice avatar picture ; )

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,555 Views)

There's also a neat trick to significantly speed up compilation times on certain CPUs: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-FPGA-Idea-Exchange/Multi-core-Compiling/idc-p/2301338#M297

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 3 of 3
(2,544 Views)