From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV Crash, Memory.cpp, Line 638

My simple VI keeps crashing LV with the following error:

Memory.cpp, Line 638

Thought it might be related to my Event Based Case Structure, removed it, but the problem is still present. The VI crashes on during the 2nd run, every time. It functions OK on the first pass run.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,244 Views)
Your example doesn't do anything on my system (LabVIEW 7.1, OS X), but it doesn't crash, either.
Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,241 Views)
I think you've run into a LabVIEW bug relating to the Type Cast function that has perhaps been fixed for the next release, but didn't get resolved for the 7.1.1 patch; I tried your VI in 7.1.1 on XP and saw the crash.

See the previous thread from around Christmastime for the blow-by-blow recap of isolating the problem, reporting it to NI, and getting it onto NI R&D's plate. (Somewhere, Ben is weeping because his diagnostic work went undiscovered by Buzz! I tried a search for "memory.cpp 638" from the main Support page and found it right away.)

The good news in this situation is that you can probably work around the problem, because I don't think you actually need to use Type Cast where you use it. The String Concatenate node is smart enough to handle a VISA resource name input and implicitly cast it to a string, and it appears that this alternative approach allows the VI to avoid the problem in your case. See the attached image of a portion of your main While Loop. If you just connect the purple wire directly to String Concatenate, you should be in good shape.

Hope this works for you,
John
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,232 Views)
I appreciate the help. Yes, removal of the Type Cast Fixed the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,228 Views)