From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 8 app builder - advanced installers confusion

Hi George,

I know I'm getting in on this a little late, but I was curious about what changed. It sounds like everything was working, with the exception of the double prompting, but you are now receiving errors. Did anything change on the system to cause this?

Regards,
Chris J
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(756 Views)
I was having a similiar issue to some of what has been posted..

Every time you install something from NI, all the dependent/related software pieces that come with the program you are trying to install get updated also.  For example, when I installed LabVIEW 8 Real Time on my machine, it quietly updated the Datasockets installation that was previously installed during the LabVIEW 8 base package installation.  Now the app builder requires me to put in the Real Time disk in my drive whenever I build the installer.  And it requires the "December 2005"  drivers disk, and the NI-RIO disk, and the LabVIEW 8 disk.  Grrr....

I used the following procedure to fix the problem.  It involves editing the registry.  If you don't like doing that, then stop reading now.  I thought it was pretty simple, but your mileage may vary ....  proceed at your own risk ....

So I copied the entire LabVIEW 8 CD to "c:\CD\LabVIEW800"  (I decided to make the directory name the same as the CD's volume label for my own clairity, you can name it whatever you want).

Then I ran regedit and went to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\Common\Installer\Distributions\

Under this key you will see a list of Class ID's (one for every NI CD you ever put in your computer and ran an installation from).  Manually search through this list (you don't need to expand the ClassID treelevel, just look at the top level of the classID) looking at the key values on the right named "Title" until you find the one titled "NI LabVIEW 8.0".  Next to the key value named "Title" you will find a key named "DistRoot" whose value will probably be "D:\".  I then edited the key's value and changed it to my directory on C drive that I just copied the LabVIEW CD to.

You have to restart LabVIEW for it to recognize the new values ... and remember you can always change the values back to D:\ if you need to for some reason in the future.

I then repeated the above procedure for each of the CD's that my application wanted.  Now it builds applications without asking for those dang CD's and it only cost me 1.8 GB of hard drive space and about 45 minutes of time.... life is good again ... it's miller time.

Ps:  Grrrr about LabVIEW 8 being sneaky and updating the LabVIEW 7.1 runtime engine to 7.1.1 (to a newer version of 7.1.1 than the one available on the website no less), so when I had to reinstall 7.1 ... my applications wouldn't run anymore claiming the runtime engine was the wrong version even though I downloaded and ran the 7.1.1 updater.  It wouldn't work again until I ran the LabVIEW 7.1.1 updated that is include on the LabvIEW 8 disk,  Grrrr....
Message 22 of 24
(673 Views)

I hope NI does something about this installer issue or at least issue a note about the best way to install updates. I really dread installing any updates because I know I'm going to have a hassle dealing with the installer finding the update.

George

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(666 Views)
GS,
The best way to stop the promptings for souce CDs when creating installers is to copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive and then to install your NI software from there. At that point, you'll not be prompted for the source again since it resides on your computer. Hope that helps!

Chris C
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(641 Views)