From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 6.1 controlling Logic Analyzer over Ethernet

I need to control and readback data, over Ethernet, for an Agilent 16803A Logic Analyzer. This has to be accomplished using LabVIEW 6.1. I've been reading several examples on the NI website. I've seen some DataSocket examples that seem promising. Another paper says to use VISA with a resource constant containing the instruments IP address. Any suggestions as to the best approach? Any examples that I can be pointed to? 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,176 Views)
DataSockets aren't typically used to write instrument drivers, since DataSocket requires some sort of server from which to get the data. Does the instrument have some sort of OPC server or something?

VISA is the typical API that's used. In this case the VISA resource would be something like TCPIP0::1.2.3.4 (there 1.2.3.4 is the IP address).

As for examples, the best bet is to see if an instrument driver already exists. Unfortunately, there's no instrument driver available in the Instrument Driver Network for your specific model. Usually at this point I would say to find a similar instrument and take a look at the way it's set up. Unfortunately (not having much luck, are you), I think the Instrument Driver Network only goes as far back as LabVIEW 7, and you have 6.1. LabVIEW does ship with a GPIB example. That's OK, because with VISA you can just change the value of the VISA resource name control and it should still work. That's the beauty of VISA. The main limitation is that GPIB-specific operations (like SRQ), don't apply to ethernet.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,167 Views)

I realize that this thread is 5 years old, but I need to state that Agilent is their wild and crazy wisedom decided to make sure their Logic Analyzers did NOT support VISA to communicate with the instruments.  In fact, they made sure that VISA would not work!  (insert curse here)

The instrument does not "speak" SCPI or any form of ASCII based text command; therefore it will not respond to *IDN? or any other commands from NI MAX or Agilent Connection Expert. 

They use Distributed COM (DCOM) to interface with the instrument.  21st Century and there is no compatibility between instruments.  AARGH!

There is a thread that discusses how to communicate with the instrument here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,873 Views)

I have a 200 page "help" file that describes COM automation with the Agilent Logic Analyzers...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,864 Views)

I may need to read it 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,858 Views)