LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2014 Sound Output vs LV 2012

I am updating an older application that uses audio prompts.  The updated version produces MUCH lower volume at the same Windows and speaker volume settings than the origional.

The 2012 version uses the Play Waveform Express vi with only the sound file input.

The 2014 version uses the individual sound output vis based on the "Sound File to Sound Output.vi" example.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and can explain what happened and how to fix it?

William A (Bill) Monette

Indiana University, School of Optometry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,795 Views)

Contary to my assumption it is NOT the Labview version that is different.  I put together the attached and the express vi is MUCH louder!  Why and how can I get similar volume for the string of vis?

William A (Bill) Monette

Indiana University, School of Optometry

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,779 Views)

Interesting question I'm about to investigate.  But why, oh why, do you have two Case Statements?  The False case of the first Statement is the True case of the second statement -- simply put the second "True" code into the "False" case of the first Case Statement and delete the second Case altogether.  If True, use lots of VIs, if False, use the Express VI.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,763 Views)

You are, of course, correct.  The many vis version was copied from my application where I need the case statement and I added the second on without thinking.

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,759 Views)

I assume you noticed that the Express VI gives you no Volume Control.  The code inside the Express VI by which it produces the Sound uses other algorithms than the "usual" ones that LabVIEW provides (and that you used in the "do it yourself" case, with a Volume control).  There are VIs that seem to function to auto-amplify the sound to be the loudest possible by adjusting the waveform that you provide, bypassing any "gain" or "loudness" inherent in the waveform itself.  So, basically, the Express VI "cheats".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,752 Views)