LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LINX 3.0 - LabVIEW for BeagleBone Black and Raspberry Pi 2/3

My apologies, that policy is still in effect. LINX with Raspberry PI cannot be used for commercial applications. 

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 82
(3,379 Views)

I've been reading about that policy, are you guys planning on releasing a commercial licence we can purchase in the near future? A pretty reasonable argument I saw in favour of that, was the lots of third party/obsolete libraries NI still provides for users to download and potentially incorporate on commercial projects (a good example is the MODBUS one), at the user's own risk. It would be ridiculous to expect the same performance as NI Hardware from a 30 bucks microcomputer, so I'm fairly certain those of us who are interested into using it for commercial applications understand the tradeoff and are willing to take the chance.

So, what are the plans on commercial use licencing?

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 82
(3,350 Views)

I don't work for NI, and have no affiliation with them.  But if I were them, I would be concerned that a $30 micro can replace some designs that would otherwise need a sbRIO, or some other more costly embedded NI hardware.  I'm guessing NI was only able to release this because the engineers made a compromise with NI management and said this type of development is for the maker movement, and won't be able to be legally used in embedded systems commercially.  The bean counters would probably not be very happy if all of the sudden sales in sbRIOs slowed down, at the same rate that this toolkit was being downloaded.  Now of course the two aren't the same platform, there is many differences in manufacuriing, support, warrenty, expected compatibility, etc, but certainly some applications could use a Pi instead of NI hardware.

I can't say for sure this is how it went down at NI, and I can't say it will continue to be for non-commerical applications, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 82
(3,335 Views)

Pretty valid argument Hooov, and it makes sense from a certain financial standpoint. However, a large amount of LabView's success has been derived from NI's opening to other manufacturer's hardware. A rather large example are PLCs, which are often cheaper than NI Hardware (which is as robust and reliable as it is expensive), and there's plenty of support for OPCs, which can and often do, replace NI hardware in industrial applications. The long term goal might be just getting more LabView out there, regardless of the platform, and for more robust projects, of course those used to LV are going to be looking at NI solutions, which increases sales and publicity in the long term.

So having more variety for commercial solutions involving LabView, might hurt sales in the short term, but spread the word in the long term and make NI more present for industrial solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 82
(3,310 Views)

@Daikataro wrote:

So having more variety for commercial solutions involving LabView, might hurt sales in the short term, but spread the word in the long term and make NI more present for industrial solutions.

Lets hope that those who can make key decisions at NI see this side of things.  Or lets hope I'm wrong entirely and it will have commercial options soon.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 82
(3,301 Views)

Here is My 2 Cents/0.02 Euros/1 British Pence:

It costs me ~$1700 to put a R/T license on a desktop PC - so there is your worst case base line.

The sbRIO inherently has a R/T licence built in. that ranges between $400 and $600 and includes hardware.

For for the fully supported, validation tested Realtime Licence in an sbRIO, I extrapolate its market value is probably $200, anything more, and you buy yourself an sbRIO.

LINX 3.0 is not R/T and from what I have read doesn't have the full suite of standard LV functions (yet) making it worth considerably less.

If this product is used in a commercial environment, there are liability issues, and for a pseudo-amateur product, this is high risk and I understand why.

If open source is anything to go by, it is best to let the fanatics test the product first, then sell the polished version.

iTm - Senior Systems Engineer
uses: LABVIEW 2012 SP1 x86 on Windows 7 x64. cFP, cRIO, PXI-RT
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 82
(3,280 Views)

Hi i Have this problem, as you can see I can connect succesfuly the labview with the raspberry thanks linx but when i click en launch example, the icon of raspberry have a warning signal, i dont know what its the problem

I use the guide that its in pdf, i do all that says the guide, can anybody help me please

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 82
(2,929 Views)

Hey Rhinco,

The yellow exclamation indicates that the 'LabVIEW Provider' (the thing that makes the RPI show up in LabVIEW) was not installed correctly.  This is usually caused by not restarting LabVIEW after installing LINX 3.0.  Restart LabVIEW and try again.  If that doesn't work create a thread on in the LabVIEWMakerhub.com forums and we'll help you debug from there.

Thanks!

-Sam K

Message 48 of 82
(2,912 Views)

ok, i going to create a thread, because i restart the labview and it doesnt function, also trying restarting the computar but it doest works, i going to upload other screen shots.

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 82
(2,909 Views)

Hi,

I enjoyed the Linx 3.0 release, but as Timmar said, LINX 3.0 is doesn't have the full suite of standard LV functions (yet).

So nothing new but I played a little with Zeromq on my raspberry pi.

Thread with great misprint here :
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Zeromq-Library-for-Lynx-3-0-on-Raspberry-pi-target/td-p/3370247

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 82
(2,783 Views)