LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known causes for Error Code 5: BD Heap

I spent a few hours this morning fighting with an internal error code 5 BD Heap error every time I tried to copy a section of my block diagram and save it, and finally figured out the sole source of my problem:

When copying sections of the block diagram, never copy a structure that contains a feedback node whose initializer lies outside that structure, unless you find the initializer and select it too.

I think this also counts as an "Insane Object" error. You can also fix it by deleting the feedback node and replacing it but if I tried to do this after a save attempt LabVIEW fatally crashed; so I'd suggest you do it as soon as you have copied the code, before you try to save anything.

If anybody has other known causes for this error, please post them for the benefit of others here.

____
Ryan R.
R&D
Message 1 of 29
(12,486 Views)

Hi Ryan,

If you post a small example VI along with step-by-step instructions to duplicate the error (in LV 8.6 I guess) you can add a link to your message to the Bug Thread to get NI to fix this issue.

Thanks for the heads-up! I really appreciate the warning.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(12,483 Views)

Here is an example. Select the case structure by clicking on its border then simply copy and paste or CTRL-click and drag a copy to the space under the original, then try to save the file.

The initializer is missing, and the program will not let you reset it. On my computer, if I try to delete the offending feedback node after a failed attempt at saving it, LabVIEW crashes.

Message Edited by morgol on 11-10-2008 12:29 PM
____
Ryan R.
R&D
Message 3 of 29
(12,474 Views)

Hi,

I had this error (v8.5.1) auto replacing a "For Loop" with a "While Loop". The For Loop contained feedback nodes whose initializer lied outside.

The error occurred trying to save. I had to replace the Loop manually.

Message 4 of 29
(11,917 Views)

Hi, Ben,

I have the same error (see attached images). I have no idea how to do with it.

And my code is not even finished, whenever I made some change, it said save error code 5 bd heap.

What can I do? Please help.

Thanks

nan

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(11,589 Views)

baal wrote:

I have the same error (see attached images). I have no idea how to do with it.

What is your LabVIEW version?

What is your OS?

Can you attach a VI that exhibits the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(11,582 Views)

Hi, I have attached my vi.

And I think I found what cause the error, it is the little white triangle in the tunnel node(see the attached image).

What do you think?

Thank you very much.

nan

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(11,578 Views)

And I have Labview2011 sp1 on Win 7 64bits.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(11,577 Views)

OK, the problem solved. Just change the node, make sure it is not linked to any input tunnels.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(11,570 Views)

Well, that little triangle is a "linked input tunnel" and it should not cause any crashes. Everybody uses linked input tunnels!

It's hard to tell what the problem is, because you VI is very incomplete. For example you define a timeout event, but don't wire the timeout. What do you actually do to cause the crash? (It opens fine in LV2012.)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(11,569 Views)