LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinect LabVIEW Interface issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello.  I am hoping someone can help with this problem.  I am trying to get the LabVIEW Kinect Demo.vi and additional vi's (from Kinect LabVIEW Interface Using Microsoft Kinect API) to run on my system:

64-bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

LabVIEW 2011 w/ Vision

Microsoft Kinect SDK (most recent)

.NET 4.0

I have been able to get the vi to load without errors, but when I run it I receive the attached error message.

Error 7 occurred at Constructor Node in Kinect_API.lvlib:Initialize Kinect.vi->Kinect_API.lvlib:Kinect Demo.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer. ========================= NI-488:  Nonexistent GPIB interface.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,525 Views)

Looks like within the vi it looks for a file, this file is missing/somewhere else....

could you post a png of the block diagram so we can give more accurate help

TD 

Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(5,496 Views)

I apologize for the delay in getting back with you.  Here are the screenshots from the main VI, and what appears to be the problem VI from the error message.  It appears as though LabVIEW finds the files correctly, but this error pops up which says it can't find a VI.  Thanks for helping me with this issue.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(5,473 Views)

i think its because you are missing the Microsoft.Research.Kinect.dll, at least in my case thats the problem and I can't figure out why because when the VI ask the file i selected but it always says file not found. Anyone can help us?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,465 Views)

Hi everyone,

Have you tried changing your LabVIEW support to .NET 4.0? This KB shows you how to this. When reading through the known issues for the Kinect API it states "   Make sure you have .NET 4.0 installed and place the attached .config file next to your LabVIEW.exe executable in your National Instruments directory. Upon the development and release of this API, LabVIEW does not currently support .NET 4.0 . This configuration file will allow LabVIEW to support the features required to make the API function"

Hope this helps!

Allison M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,456 Views)

Thanks for all the replies!  Yes, I have installed .NET 4.0 and have placed the .config file next to the LabVIEW.exe.  I initially had an error stating that the Microsoft.Research.Kinect.dll could not be located, but resolved that issue, which is when I ran into the current problem of LabVIEW loading all the appropriate VIs (ie. RUN button is not broken and all VIs/subVIs are not greyed out) and throwing an error stating it can't find a VI which is obviously present.  I have followed many other NI forum postings and have tried all the recommended steps to no avail.  Is this an issue with the new Microsoft SDK not working properly with current Kinect LabVIEW Interface release?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,443 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mblanton

Issue resolved.  I uninstalled the Kinect SDK (I think this was the important part) and .NET 4.0.  Then reinstalled .NET 4.0 and the Kinect Beta SDK (not the most recent Kinect SDK):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/beta.aspx

All is functioning properly now.  I had to go through the LabVIEW VIs and re-select some of the runtime .NET calls, but everything is working well now.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,394 Views)

Hi mblanton. I have the same problem with my kinect. Which kinect are you using? For Xbox 369 or Windows? Because I have kinect for windows and I can't unistall the SDK v1.0 and install the SDK beta 2. Kinect for windows only use SDK v1.0!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,103 Views)

Hi Steppy,

The example was written for the beta SDK and you currently have the SDK for commercial applications installed on your computer, therefore, they will not be compatible. You will have to work through the SDK to make the calls in LabVIEW programmatically. 

Hope this helps,

Allison M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,075 Views)

Steppy,

I am using the Xbox 360 kinect.  Allison M. is correct in her reply.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,064 Views)