From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kill Function not working properly

I am running custom motors that are monitored with optical encoders. These motors are able to be moved and repositioned when not being currently controlled by labview and I have had no problems with this setup until recently. Previously when I used the kill function from labview or the motion and automation program the motors would remain off until I re-enabled them from labview and I would be able to move them to a new position. My current problem is that sometimes when I reposition the motors they will turn back on and hold position. If I kill the motors from the motion and automation program it will display that the motors have been killed, but after moving the motor arms around the motors turn back on and it no longer displays that the motors have been killed. I have tested this with only the motion program running on the computer and no labview to tell the motors to turn on. Any help on why the motion program is re-enabling the motors without any user input would be great.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,125 Views)

Arbidus, 

Which "motion program" are your referring to? What is your current software/hardware setup? Are you killing the motor from Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX)? 

After the axis and motion is killed, is there a defined pattern related to the motor's position of when they turn back on? 

You also mention that your current application used to work just fine. What has changed since then? Anything in the encoders?

Huntington W
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

***Don't forget to give Kudos and Accepted as Solution where it is deserved***
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,080 Views)

The problem occurs when using both MAX and labview to disable the motors. The motor moves the arm back and form in a 60 degree arc and the program ends with the arm roughly 30 degrees away from the initial position. The motors will sometimes turn themselves on when being manually moved back to the initial position. This problem has also happened when the motors are first being turned on for the day and moved to the initial position. However, this problem can be hard to reproduce. The motor might be repositioned 10 times before they turn back on, or they might turn back on imidiately after being disabled. One of the optical encoders was replaced reciently with what should be a direct replacement from the manufacturer. Both MAX and labview are able to properly read the motor position from the new encoder and it has worked seemlessly with the existing program until this problem.

Thanks,

Arbidus

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,069 Views)