LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with cursor movement after enabling shift register

Solved!
Go to solution

Please look into allowing movement of the cursor after enabling shift register so one could traverse to the other side of the for/while loop to enable the other side of the associated incomming parameter line.

You could also automatically create the shift register, if enabled to do so.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,140 Views)

Are you reporting a problem or asking for an idea to improve LabVIEW?  I can't tell by your message.  Either way, post more information.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,124 Views)

Your post makes no sense and does not sound like an idea for a new LabVIEW feature.

1. Currsors are completely independent of shift registers and/or loops.
  2. shift registers cannot be enabled/disabled.
  3. terms like "other side of the incoming parameter line" and "traverse to the other side" sound like gibberish even to the seasoned LabVIEW programmer.
  4. What do you mean by "allow movement"? Movement by the operator or programmatic movement?
  5. Under what conditions should a shift register be created automatically? What should be the trigger?

If you need programming help, please notify the moderator to move this thread to the regular LabVIEW forum. Then please provide significantly more detail, e.g. attach a VI that demonstrates the problem you are having.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,092 Views)

After modifying a tunnel on a loop instruction to perform as a shift register, I find it impossible to move the cursor beyond the left or right edge of the screen, as my loop instruction takes up more than one screen worth of real estate .  If I try to move the cursor by grapping the cursor bar at the bottom of the screen, I loose the shift register cursor shape.

In order to make this work, for example, I move the cursor up and outside my loop instruction, and left click on white space.  After doing so, the shift register symbol appears on the other edge of the loop instruction.  I then have to move the symbol near the tunnel of the parameter I was implementing the shift register on, and delete and move the lines to the shift register symbol.  This is a nusance, however minor.

Therefore: One of three things has occured,

1) Either I do not know how to move the shift register cursor (cockpit problem) and there is a way to simpler do this?  And if so, please let me know.

2) There is a bug in NI Labview

3) Or consider this is a request for NI to enhance (or fix) this issue.

Thanks

Craig Byrd

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,065 Views)

@CraigByrd wrote:

After modifying a tunnel on a loop instruction to perform as a shift register, I find it impossible to move the cursor beyond the left or right edge of the screen, as my loop instruction takes up more than one screen worth of real estate .  If I try to move the cursor by grapping the cursor bar at the bottom of the screen, I loose the shift register cursor shape.

In order to make this work, for example, I move the cursor up and outside my loop instruction, and left click on white space.  After doing so, the shift register symbol appears on the other edge of the loop instruction.  I then have to move the symbol near the tunnel of the parameter I was implementing the shift register on, and delete and move the lines to the shift register symbol.  This is a nusance, however minor.

Therefore: One of three things has occured,

1) Either I do not know how to move the shift register cursor (cockpit problem) and there is a way to simpler do this?  And if so, please let me know.

2) There is a bug in NI Labview

3) Or consider this is a request for NI to enhance (or fix) this issue.

Thanks

Craig Byrd

What is a "loop instruction"?  You are using LabVIEW. There is no such thing as "loop instruction".

What is "grapping"?  How does one "grap" a cursor bar?  I didn't know LabVIEW has a "cursor bar".

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,059 Views)

Hi Byrd,

as my loop instruction takes up more than one screen worth of real estate

This is your real problem!

The style guide recommends to limit block diagrams to screen size. If you would follow the style guide you could create shift registers quite easily!

Think about subVIs and cleaning up/refactoring your code…

@nyc:

The OP converts a tunnel on the right side of a loop to a shift register. Then LabVIEW wants you to pick the corresponding tunnel on the left border of the loop - the OP has problems to locate that due to bad coding style…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,055 Views)

OK, so this has to do with diagram editing. Who would have guessed? (I was imagining graph cursors, for example).

I understand now that you are trying to convert a tunnel to a shift register on one side of a loop and then link an existing tunnel on the other side to it, but that tunnel is out of view. You lose focus when trying to scroll.

I don't have a good solution for that, except keeping the diagram size more manageable. As we said in the LabVIEW proverbs: "If your LabVIEW problem can be solved by getting a bigger monitor, the problem is elsewhere". 😄

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,048 Views)

Thank you for your reply.  

Yes, If the loop is displayed in the area of the screen, there is no issue.

And, yes, I could create more subroutine vi's to make the whole loop visible on the screen.

I would be concerned about readability of the source, as there are nested switch statements within the loop, but I will take this under advisement.

I still believe, however, NI should look at this and allow one to move the cursor beyond the display width of the monitor.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,040 Views)

Thank you, appreciated..

I will endevour to follow recommend practices (maybe you could recommend the list or a link to same).

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,032 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CraigByrd

Hi Byrd,

open the LabVIEW help and search for "style guide"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 10 of 11
(3,021 Views)