LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this the right DAQ board to buy?

Hello Howard,

IRCON confirms that the response time of my thermometer (UX-20P) is indeed 0.5 sec.  Does this make the RS-232 approach better?  I think I want to stick w/ the DAQ approach though since it costs too much for the controller PSC232.

Jimmy
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 48
(1,035 Views)
Jimmy

No, because Ircon's RS-232 response time is less than 0.5 seconds doesn't mean it is better.  It just means it meets requirenments.   As a comparison  the USB-6008  can make 10,000 analog to digital conversions per second. This equivalent to a response time of approximately 0.0001 seconds.  I seriously doubt if the Ircon's RS-232 response time could ever  approcach the rsponse time  of a USB-6008.  My comparison assumes the software overhead for either approach is similar. 

I see no reason not to go with the lowest cost approach. 

Howard
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 48
(1,028 Views)
Jimmy

There is a possible substitute for the analog cable Ircon sells. The 2.5 mm micro phone plug Ircon uses is commonly used with stero head phones. Hence if yiou have an electonic techniician at your institution that provides support for your project you could buy a stero head phone extension cable in place of Ircon's analog cable.  The electronic technician could then cut off one of the connectors and strip the insulation off the ends of each exposed conductor.  Your Ircon manual may tell you what each conductor is used for.  If not your electronic technician could make some measurements to identify which conductor is used for the signal and which conductor is uesd for ground.  A stero headphone extension cable costs about $10.00.  You will not be using the alligator clips that comes with Ircon's cable as you will be making connections to screw terminals on your USB 6008.

Howard
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 48
(1,008 Views)
What is the response time of the Ircon detector? I doubt it is very fast, so the sampling rate via the analog input on the 6008 may only need to be on the order to 10's of samples/second.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 44 of 48
(1,004 Views)
Your Question  "What is the response time of the Ircon detector? I doubt it is very fast, so the sampling rate via the analog input on the 6008 may only need to be on the order to 10's of samples/second."

Answer:  I agree "
the sampling rate via the analog input on the 6008 may only need to be on the order to 10's of samples/second." is adequate.  I don't know what the response time of Ultimax UX-20p is.  However, I seen numerious reports on the Internet of the response time of infrared pyrometers being in the order of milliseconds.
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 48
(978 Views)
Sounds like you are a thief. Reported to moderator.
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 48
(558 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Sounds like you are a thief. Reported to moderator.

Looks like somebody beat you to it...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 48
(545 Views)

I see another person with the same user ID as I have is posting in this Thread.   What needs to be done so we each have unique IDs.   For the record the hrh18i18 who has been posting in this thread has provide much more useful answers than I could post.

The other hrh1818

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 48
(531 Views)