From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to remove the password in vi?

I actually have a mobile in my company. This makes it much more difficult, as there are basically 3 rotation axes :D.
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 30
(14,340 Views)
I am guessing that you want to see the block diagram of a vi and the designer set up the password protect. Well I found this vi a while back (I wish I could find the web site now and give credit because they had a lot of interesting labview programs) and depending on how long the password is (if the password is over 6 digits long it could take a while), this might work for you. Good luck
Download All
Message 22 of 30
(14,315 Views)

@nutmegzzzz wrote:
(I wish I could find the web site now and give credit because they had a lot of interesting labview programs)

If you just look at context help, you get the name "Michale Aivalotis".  I quick google search leads me to this.

http://www.aivaliotis.com/labview/labviewblog/

Message 23 of 30
(14,311 Views)
Thanks for the stars......

Its just that often a lot of effort or skill goes into a response and if I feel it's a good or worthy response, even if it has already been rated. I attach the value it has to me as well. If a response remains valuable over time then I feel that it should be reflected in the awarded stars. It's a different dimension.. perhaps Smiley Wink (Closet Trekkie fan {Wikipedia})

I know stars are an emotive issue. I have contributed to all discussions on the subject that I have come accross since using he forum. I value them sometimes as just a thanks, sometimes as a real reward for the effort made. As the forum moves to become more of a resource in its self, then it seems to me logical Smiley Tongue / equitable to award stars in this way.
Message 24 of 30
(14,308 Views)

Hi

What length of the password it can crack?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 30
(4,455 Views)

Hi praveen,

does this excerpt from a message above answer your question?

depending on how long the password is (if the password is over 6 digits long it could take a while), this might work for you.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 30
(4,450 Views)

It can crack a password of ANY length  Smiley Very Happy  ...  But it takes a billion years.  Smiley Surprised Smiley Sad

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 30
(4,425 Views)

Normally that's true.  The default settings of the app builder remove the block diagrams.

But it is possible to have settings that leave all the FPs & BDs intact, in which case the VIs would be fully extractable from the .exe.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 30
(4,414 Views)

Mostly true.  A small % of VIs have characteristics that allow their BDs to be pried open without ever discovering the password.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 30
(4,411 Views)

I disagree with this statement.  I'd say every VI from when password protection was conceived to the newest version can be opened without the password in about 5 different ways, some more successful than others.  Even NI R&D has said something to the effect that the protection you get from password protecting a VI is about the level of protection you get from tissue paper.  

You can use VI Server calls to brute force it, perform reverse MD5 hashing on 2011 and older (salt was added to 2012), you can hack LabVIEW.exe to not ask for the password, you can use the This VI reference (or brute force what this refnum is), or you can replace the password and hashes in the VI with a new one. 

The source code is in the VI and it is unencrypted, for various reasons.  This means getting access to it is very possible.  The recommended method of properly protecting your IP if you are that conserned about it, is to remove the block diagram from the VI.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/831F38C46BCBDADE8625793A0054BB19

A consern I have that is related to this, is the fact that a large majority of the tools network packages, and NI add on tools, all rely on this VI password linked to a passworded library to license the code.  With the right tools it probably doesn't take much to just remove all licensing restrictions from all libraries.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 30
(4,374 Views)