LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to have more than 28 connection terminals?

I am using the application builder to create DLL's for a futures trading system and want a few more than 28 input/outputs... is this possible? I would pass arrays... but, the software interface on the other side is limited and cumbersome. If I could have 40 terminals, for example, my needs would be met when building these DLL's. Any way to do this? Any way to create a DLL with more than 28 input/outputs?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,346 Views)
Gonzo325 wrote in message news:<50650000000800000065DB0000-1079395200000@exchange.ni.com>...
> I am using the application builder to create DLL's for a futures
> trading system and want a few more than 28 input/outputs... is this
> possible? I would pass arrays... but, the software interface on the
> other side is limited and cumbersome. If I could have 40 terminals,
> for example, my needs would be met when building these DLL's. Any way
> to do this? Any way to create a DLL with more than 28 input/outputs?

Why can't you pass in a cluster?

Todd
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,346 Views)
It seems that you have two limiting factors. 1) LabVIEW does not allow for more a 28 terminal connector pane, and 2) the software interface on the other system.

There is not going to be a way to increase the number of terminals in LabVIEW. You should definitely look into using clusters. You�ll be able to consolidate your controls so that only a single terminal pin is used. Then you will be able to extract those controls and perform whatever type of manipulation on them individually.

I wouldn�t think you would have any problems with this type of coding with your software interface, but that�s something you will have to investigate.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,346 Views)
I have used clusters before and would love to use them in this case. The only problem that I am finding with this approach as it applies to my situation is the parameters contained within the cluster (inputs) are not recognized by the application builder when creating the DLL. Unless I have overlooked something... I do not think the cluster approach will work. Any other thoughts????
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,346 Views)
Hey Gonzo,

My first thought is that you really might want to reconsider this VI that you are developing. Is there another way that you could design it such that it does not require more than 28 inputs/outputs?

Some other information that could be useful: what do you plan on calling this dll from? just how many inputs and how many outputs are you looking at?

There is an example in the NI Developer which talks about using a structure in a dll to correspond with a cluster in LabVIEW. Using Structures in a DLL with Clusters in LabVIEW If it's possible, try and take a look through the example and see if this option co
uld work for you.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,346 Views)