LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a simple way to display a number in the most logical unit?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, often I'm taking a measument in a VI and displaying it in real time in my front panel. Often, the range of the measurement changes drastically in a short timespan. What I'd like is for it to display it in the simplest units. So for example, if the measurement is in volts, and it's currently 2E-8, I'd like it to say 20 nV instead. Now obviously if I wanted it to always be in nanovolts, I could just multiply the display by 10^9, but sometimes it will quickly go from nV to mV or something, and I don't want it then displaying 3E5 or something.

So what I'd really like it to do is have it automatically adjust to use the "closest" unit. I know I could do this using some logic statements or maybe a Ring, but that's kind of clunky. Is there a more efficient way to do this? thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,714 Views)

Do you know the display format properties?

Try SI- notation Format 🙂

Rigth-Click on the indicator, choose Display Format..

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,697 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author optoelectro

Set the display format to SI notation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,696 Views)

One addition:  Add a log, fixed scale bargraph for a quick optical view!   Since m,µ,n,p mix up quickly 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,690 Views)

Awesome, exactly what I want!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,673 Views)