From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a roll-off with the SVT octave analysis vi's?

I built a spectrum analyzer that displays 1/3 octave and narrowband data. I'm using the PXi chassis with 3 NI4472 daq cards. I noticed when putting in low frequency tonals (from function generator, amplified to 1 Vrms) the SVT 1/3 octave analysis vi has a roll-off associated between 10-100Hz. Narrowband (using power spectrum vi) quantifies the correct level extactly. I've noticed the SVT Octave analysis vi's roll-off the amplitude levels by as much as 50-60dB at 10 Hz. Does anyone know the solution to this problem.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,562 Views)
Could you post a sample of the code that demonstrates the issue? Are you applying weighting (A-weighting would apply a relative response of -70 dB at 10 Hz) to the signal when you do octave analysis?

When I input a 10 Hz tone from a function generator to to AI0 of a 4472, I get consistent results between the power spectrum and 1/n octave (see attached results).

Another thought, how did you implement 1/3 octave analysis? The 1/3 octave analysis VIs take an enum for the low frequency where the lowest frequency in the enum is 20 Hz. I had to use the 1/n octave VI which takes a DBL for the start frequency.

Hopefully, some of this rambling helps,
Doug
Doug
NI Sound and Vibration
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,562 Views)
I'm copying below an example program that has been modified to satisfy this issue. The original, SVXMPL_Third-octave-Analysis (Traditional DAQ).VI uses the SVT VI for Third-Octave Analysis, and is limited to ranges from 20 Hz to 20kHz. The changes I made in the VI include replacing the Third-Octave Analysis VIs with Fractional Octave Analysis VI, setting it to be a Third Octave opteration, and changing up the inputs to it to allow you to choose any range you desire (within reason). Good luck, and have a great day!

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,562 Views)
Logan,
Thanks for giving me a call. I reviewed the code you recommended, however the code is much the same as mine. I still have concerns regarding the noise floor around the calibration signal I put in. When I use the VI you suggested, the noise floor looks normal (but thats one channel). I have the very same vis, DAQmx to scale VI then to SVT fractional Octave VI (for 1/3octave 10 channels). I also have a problem of the filters not settling, and maybe thats the cause. Ross is looking into that issue.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,562 Views)