LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a possibility to use an independent platform technology for web for Data Socket, like java applets?

I have built some applications for remote control using data socket technology.  The remote control is made via web, using ActiveX technology. This technology is platform dependent. For this reason I want change this way of remote control with an independent platform technology, like java applets. Is there a possibility like this? Any kind of suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,768 Views)

Couldn't you just use plain LabVIEW for the remote control application? It understands datasocket natively and runs on PC, MAC, and some other platforms.

Could you give a little bit more detail on what you are trying to do and how the remote control currently works?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,760 Views)

I want to escape for Runtime Engine install. I don’t want that my client must install the LabVIEW Runtime Engine or anything else like this. In this moment, my client uses the web pages with ActiveX for remote control. The client must permit install the ActiveX in his PC and must to have a web browser that recognize the ActiveX technology. For this reason, I ask that there is a way to replace the ActiveX technology (which is platform dependent) with Java applet or with other technologies that are platform independent.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,759 Views)
Try using LabVNC (http://www.jeffreytravis.com/lost/labvnc.html). If I remember correctly, only the server side needs the RTE, and it creates a java applet you can connect to. Keep in mind that this is an open source project that was discontinued (as far as I can tell), so it may not work for you.

Message Edited by tst on 07-04-2005 09:15 AM

Message Edited by tst on 07-04-2005 09:18 AM

(2,758 Views)

Thanks, I’ll try it. But this tool don’t use the data socket transfer protocol.

My question is: Is there a possibility to implement data socket transfer protocol in java applet or in other platform independent technology?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,746 Views)

Shhhh...
Don't tell anyone I told you this - LabVIEW IS platform indepedent! 

Seriously though, you want to use DS (why, by the way? What's wrong with standard LV remote front panels?), but you don't want to install anything. I don't think you will find any java applet that implements DS internally. DS is an NI protocol, and I doubt they wrote an implementation for it in java. At most, I think you will find something that calls the LV exported functions.

In today's OS world, it is very hard to get something to work properly without installing it. You can get LV apps to run without installing the RTE, but I doubt you will be able to run a browser plugin, on any system, without installing\registering something.

Like Altenbach, I'm also not clear on what use you make of DS.

(2,736 Views)
Since DS is a NI proprietery protocol (in fact it seems a subset of Logos of some sort which is the bigger proprietery network protocol used for communication in LabVIEW DSC, Lookout, and the network Fieldpoint modules) you won't find any independant implementation. So if you want to use DS you will have to at least install the DS client libraries from NI on every computer you want to use it. You can of course access the DS shared library from within Java but a fully native Java inplementation is ASFAIK not available and likely won't be for quite some time. Also note that DS is probably not available as an independant install as it is always part of another NI product mentioned above.

If you want to avoid to have to install anything in nowadays computer world, you most likely will have to implement your own network protocol based on TCP/IP or UDP.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 07-04-2005 07:46 AM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,731 Views)