LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the registry key "NI-VISA FOR WINDOWS 95/NT" a reliable way to detect if NI-VISA is installed?

Is the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS\NI-VISA FOR WINDOWS 95/NT" still a reliable way to detect whether NI-VISA is installed on a computer?

There was a thread from 2002 in which this was referred to:

I didn't find anything more recent.

Jim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,659 Views)

Hi Jim,

I haven't used the registry key but I think a sure fire way is to perform any VISA operation such as VISA Find Resource and if you get error code -1073807202, then VISA isn't installed.

Dennis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,654 Views)
I guess I should have mentioned that this is for an installer developed in Installshield.  There will be no LabVIEW code running. 

The installer is checking to see whether NI-VISA is installed on the Computer.  The installer is also verifying the version.

We would like to detect whether NI-VISA, Agilent VISA or both are installed on the computer. 

There are three valid configurations:
  • NI-VISA only
  • Agilent VISA only
  • NI-VISA primary with Agilent VISA secondary
If you install NI-VISA when Agilent VISA is already installed as primary, it will corrupt the Agilent VISA.  The NI-VISA installer doesn't check for the presence of Agilent VISA.  NI doesn't support running as the secondary VISA.  Notably, Agilent will install as a secondary VISA.

If Agilent VISA and NI VISA are installed, then you need to check to see if Agilent is secondary and whether the NI-VISA Tulip setting is on.  To properly install this case, you must uninstall Agilent IO, install NI-VISA, then reinstall Agilent IO.

Our next version of the installer will detect the three configurations and do the 'right' thing.
Jim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,644 Views)
Hi Jim,

The Registry key is still valid, so you should be able to use that for your check. Thanks!

Regards,

Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,615 Views)