From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to read .db files without database toolkit?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,537 Views)

@tst wrote:

The DB toolkit can't read ANY file. It uses ADO or ODBC,....

Yes, Ok, but you know what I meant Smiley Tongue

tst wrote:

In the case of SQLite, you need to find and install a small free driver which provide ODBC support, which then allows you to access it through ODBC.

Ah ... I was hoping I didn't need to do that, but that's good to know.  I'll try that, but the toolkit mentioned above may work out too.  Thanks !

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,533 Views)

@Eric1977 wrote:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/

I have been there and have tried lots and lots of the examples, but no joy Smiley Mad  ... yet

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,531 Views)
Can you connect with the odbc administrator utility? You can also right click in Windows Explorer and create a udl file. If that works, you have your connection string.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,515 Views)

So what have you tried ?

Did you install the ODBC drivers for SQLite ?

Did you try this string:
DRIVER=SQLite3 ODBC Driver;Database=c:\mydb.db;LongNames=0;Timeout=1000;NoTXN=0;
SyncPragma
=NORMAL;StepAPI=0;

What was the errors when you tried all these steps?

Message 15 of 21
(1,509 Views)

Sorry, bad SQL query ... fixed here...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,504 Views)

@dkfire wrote:

I can't at the moment, no admin privilege Smiley Sad

It's at this link, right?

http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

@dkfire wrote:

Did you try this string:
DRIVER=SQLite3 ODBC Driver;Database=c:\mydb.db;LongNames=0;Timeout=1000;NoTXN=0;
SyncPragma
=NORMAL;StepAPI=0;

No that's one of the millions of connection strings I haven't tried, not one of the hundreds I did try  Smiley Wink ... if I request admin privilege for my PC, I can try that.  OTOH, I would like to find an option that doesn't require admin privilege on the customers' end.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,492 Views)

@JBoydFL wrote:

OTOH, I would like to find an option that doesn't require admin privilege on the customers' end.

If that's a requirement, then you're going to have to use the toolkits which call the DLL directly, as that's the only thing which doesn't require installation. That said, shouldn't you already have admin priviliges to install your application? Why can't the DB driver be part of that installation?

(1,475 Views)

I was hoping to keep the installation simple by limiting it to just our one LabVIEW application.  But "SQLite ODBC Driver" may be the only way for us to go, since I'm having issues with "SQLite for OpenG" handling some of our more complex queries.  And even "SQLite Browser" on the target machine does not support "RIGHT JOIN", for example.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,456 Views)

@dkfire wrote:

Yes, on the target machine -- which has admin privilege but not LabVIEW, so I make an application on the LabVIEW development machine (no admin priv) and copy it over.

@dkfire wrote:

Did you try this string:
SyncPragma
=NORMAL;StepAPI=0;

Yes, and it worked !  I see the needle in the haystack now -- way at the bottom of https://www.connectionstrings.com/sqlite/  Thanks...

-john

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,441 Views)