LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to pass on a typedef documentation to a variable of this type?

For documentation purposes and a better readability, I document typedefs by filling in its properties. Sadly, when I create a variable of this type, the comment does not show up in the context help box when moving over the variable. Is there a way to combine the documentation automatically (by configuring LV?

I don't want to document each variable of the typedef and I don't want to write a programme which does this for me.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,303 Views)

When you enter the documentation, do not do it using the icon of the typedef in the upper right corner of the control. Enter the documentation directly using the variable property in the typedef control. The documentation entered that way will show up in the variables created from the typedef.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,260 Views)

@md001 wrote:

When you enter the documentation, do not do it using the icon of the typedef in the upper right corner of the control. Enter the documentation directly using the variable property in the typedef control. The documentation entered that way will show up in the variables created from the typedef.

I think he means when you create a constant from a typedef.  If you make a control or an indicator, the description shows up.  If you make a constant, it does not.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,253 Views)

No what I mean is when the control type def is open, enter the documentation using the properties of the control itself (the variable), not the control properties accessible through the icon in the top right corner of the control type def (see below).

Also, the documentation of any variable created from the typedef will be the documentation in the typedef at the time of the creation of the variable. If you want the to be able to change the documentation and have the documentations of all the previously created variables updated at the same time, you have to use a "Strict Type Def" instead of simply a "Type Def".

Clipboard03.jpg

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,240 Views)

@md001 wrote:

No what I mean is when the control type def is open, enter the documentation using the properties of the control itself (the variable), not the control properties accessible through the icon in the top right corner of the control type def (see below).

Also, the documentation of any variable created from the typedef will be the documentation in the typedef at the time of the creation of the variable. If you want the to be able to change the documentation and have the documentations of all the previously created variables updated at the same time, you have to use a "Strict Type Def" instead of simply a "Type Def".

I was under the impression that he was creating constants, since he was talking about "variables."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,227 Views)

Thanks for your replies -

You are right, I was creating constants and the typedef documentation is not passed on, even when using "strict Type Def". If I change the constant to an input element, the documentation is passed on. 

Regards Erik

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,190 Views)

@ErikThiel wrote:

Thanks for your replies -

You are right, I was creating constants and the typedef documentation is not passed on, even when using "strict Type Def". If I change the constant to an input element, the documentation is passed on. 

Regards Erik

I took a brief tour of the options and unfortunately I didn't see an option to change this behavior.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,175 Views)

Constants created from type defs are allways non-strict.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,166 Views)