From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to open a VI using an older version of LabVIEW, and if so how?

As stated in the title.  I have installed all the run-times from lv6 to lv8.6, but cannot open any VIs that have been compiled in a more recent version of LabVIEW.  We run (on different computers) lv5, lv6.1, and lv8.5.  Upgrading some of the older machines is not possible since they cannot handle the required OS.

Is there any way to open a VI created/compiled in a higher version of LabVIEW?  This is proving to be a major sticking point with us and our ability to transfer VIs between computers.

James

Never say "Oops." Always say "Ah, interesting!"

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,978 Views)
If it is somewhat lesser files, zip it and post here. Somebody will convert it for you. Else query your local NI Representative.
Message 2 of 6
(9,966 Views)

Hello James,

AFAIK, there's no way to open a vi from an older version of LabVIEW and there are even problems openning vis made in very old versions from new ones.

There is an option "Save for previous versions" available where you can go down one or two versions, but 8.5 to 5 is really a very long way...

Try to keep as much as possible developments in the older versions, since openning from older is easier than openning from new versions.

Paulo 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,965 Views)
No, you cannot open a newer VI with an older version. Your only option is to do a save for previous but you would need all the intermeditate versions. LabVIEW 8.5 can save to 8.0. You would need 8.0 to save as 7.1, use 7.1 to save as 7.0, use 7.0 to save for 6.1, etc.
Message 4 of 6
(9,964 Views)

Is there a separate place for me to post VIs to be converted?  What's a ballpark figure for the maximum file size i could put on to be converted?

Do you know if the LabVIEW developers can/will create a way to overcome this problem rather than having to convert a VI through all the intermediate versions?

Never say "Oops." Always say "Ah, interesting!"

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(9,954 Views)

Hi James,

I was able to use VI server to invoke LV 6.1 VI's using LV 7.0 without issue.

After discovering this and mentioning it in a post somewhere, Rolf Kalbermatter indicated that was expected. and I should not be suprised.

So....

Vi Server may help you.

James Mamakos wrote:

Is there a separate place for me to post VIs to be converted?  What's a ballpark figure for the maximum file size i could put on to be converted?

Do you know if the LabVIEW developers can/will create a way to overcome this problem rather than having to convert a VI through all the intermediate versions?

To the best of knowledge NO.

For each versino of LV there isw code included that runs behind the scenes when you open a VI from an earleir version which replaces old functions with the new versions. This is called Mutation code. To accomplish its task it has to know everything that changed between version X and Y. Since it is possible to baby step the versions up and the number of user that jump multiple major versions is small, I don't think any effort will go into that work.

THe largest attachment I have managed to upload was 3 or 4 Meg.

Just trying to help,

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 04-28-2009 08:58 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 6
(9,923 Views)