From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to increase the timeout on the properties dialog for LVOOP classes ?

I'm working on a medium scale application which has a lot of claases in it (it's got several largish Actor Framework based modules with quite a few possible messages). Recently it's gotten to the point that when I right click on a class to bring up the properties dialog, the dialog seems to take so long figuring out my class heirarchy that it times out and gives me the attached error.

error.png

I don't suppose there's any way of increasing the time out on the dialog ? (I suspect the fact that my laptop's hard disc speed has been crippled by my IT services encrypting it isn't helping me here...)

--
Gavin Burnell
Condensed Matter Physics Group, University of Leeds, UK
http://www.stoner.leeds.ac.uk/
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,742 Views)

I don't know if there is a way to lengthen the timeout, but whether there is or isn't I got a feeling the real problem here isn't about timeouts... Perhaps things are a bit toooooo complicated.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,713 Views)

The timeout is hard-coded to 30 seconds. 

What LabVIEW version are you using? I can give you a patched version of that VI with no timeout.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,706 Views)

Ignoring the usual flame wars around LVOOP development performance in the IDE for a moment - I understand there is currently no way for you to increase the timeout unless you take Darren up on his offer. It's unfortunate and currently your only real solution is to reduce the depth of yoiur hierarchies or to push some of the modules to an alternative project (basically - re-design).

If you have an active SSP you could always push NI for a solution to your issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,694 Views)

I think this is another data point for one of my theorems:

If you spend more on the software than the computer you are running it on you will be disappointed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,686 Views)

Please don't take my comment as an indictment of all LVOOP development -- only poorly though-out overly ambitious LVOOP development. I have seen people get into this same sort of mess all on their own and without any help from LVOOP. Doing so once isn't bad, it's a learning experience. Doing it twice -- now that is bad.

Depending on the overall structure of the application, breaking it up might not be too bad a path to take. The OP will just have to work out how to pass messages between executables, which isn't very hard really -- and could have a lot of advantages. In case you haven't noticed, that's how most commercial packages are built anyway (including LV itself).

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,677 Views)

Actually, it looks like the vast majority of my problems lie in the laptop encryption that was foistered on me. I've noticed LabVIEW seems to be particularly badly affected (I guess there's a lot of reading of small files), and the properties dialog is accompanied by lots of disc thrashing. Opening the same projects on a nominally much slower desktop which is not encrypted show no problems at all. Time to get that SSD fitted I think.

--
Gavin Burnell
Condensed Matter Physics Group, University of Leeds, UK
http://www.stoner.leeds.ac.uk/
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,660 Views)

Here is the modified VI, saved in LabVIEW 2012. Follow these steps to patch your system:

1. Close LabVIEW 2012.

2. Backup the following file: LabVIEW 2012\resource\Framework\Providers\VILibrary\libFrame_OpenPageRef.vi

3. Replace it with the version attached to this post.

4. Restart LabVIEW 2012.

Now you should no longer experience the 30 second timeout when the class property page loads. I set the timeout to "-1", so it should wait as long as necessary to open the page.

Note that if you ever repair or reinstall LabVIEW 2012, you'll need to patch this file again. Also, I wouldn't try patching any version other than 2012, since there may be other changes made to this VI across LabVIEW upgrades.

Message 8 of 8
(2,655 Views)