From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to implement compression like gzip with the labview web server?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am currently implementing a web page to be served by the NI sbRIO 9636.  I was able to get html, css, and js served just fine.  I am curious if there is a way to implement gzip compression to help with page load times?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,624 Views)

No, to do things like that you will have to use a real web server. The good news though is that its not very hard, and very robust -- unlike the LV web server.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,599 Views)

So you are saying it is possible to install a web server like apache on an NI board?  Any resources you recommend for someone like myself to learn the basics of what is possible with the NI boards?   

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,555 Views)
Solution
Accepted by carterc

Ok, a couple points:

1. I have heard it discussed that you can in theory install a webserver on the Linux-based cRIO. But there is a great big caveat: I have never done it, or spoken to anyone who did so I don't know how well it would actually work.
  2. Given the inexpensive price of hardware these days a safer alternative would be to include a separate computer the sole function of which is to host the web interface. There are many small computers that would be ideal for this application -- many of which were originally designed to work in home-theater applications.

The point of my post was that there are certain limitations in the LV webserver that you may have to find your way around.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,551 Views)