LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to uninstall a LabVIEW 7.0 before I install LabVIEW 8.20?

I have LabVIEW 7.0 installed on my computer.  Is it better to uninstall this version and then install the new LabVIEW 8.20?  Or should it upgrade from 7.0 to 8.20?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,451 Views)
You can actually have both versions installed at the same time. Each version of LabVIEW will be installed in its own directory under the National Instruments directory. This way you can support projects that have not upgraded to the new version.

LabVIEW 8.2 is not technically an "Upgrade" to an older version. It's just a new version.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,439 Views)
Hi,

you can easily install both LabView versions in parallel!
There can be problems when you want/have to use certain hardware drivers. MAYBE when upgrading them with LV8.20 they are no longer available in LV7.0...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,437 Views)
It's perfectly acceptable to have multiple versions of LabVIEW installed. What you'll want to make sure of is to install them in order of increasing version, i.e. install the latest release last. This is because during installation, LabVIEW software will detect the devices on your computer and automatically assign drivers to them. Thus, if you installed LV 7.0 after LV 8.2, it would automatically assign the device drivers associated with LV 7.0 over the more recent, updated drivers that were released with 8.2. This is simply something you might want to be aware of.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,415 Views)