From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LabView really having trouble finding enough memory?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using a 32 MB/ch USB-5133 digitizer and making an effort to acquire as long of a time record as possible (~32E6 data points). However, the device can currently only reach its maximum capability while acquiring from a single channel.  When making a simultaneous acquisition, I get the dreaded "Not enough memory to complete this operation" message somewhere around 20E6 points per channel. 

I've already bumped the VM paging memory up to ~10 GB, and followed the instructions listed at ( http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361F-01/lvhowto/enable_lrg_ad_aware/ ) to modify the boot.ini file.

Is it really the case that LV cannot find two 32 MB blocks of memory?  Or am I missing some other options that would allow this device to be used to its full capability?

Attached:

-Error message (jpeg)

-2 channel daq (.vi)

System info:

Windows XP Pro SP3

3 GB RAM (4 GB installed...)

Thanks,

-Josh

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,273 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author joshmont

Scott,

I can't open the VI on my current machine, but I am assumign you are getting back an array of DBLs.

Assuming my math is correct,

1 DBL = 64 bits

32e6 samples = 2GB worth of data

so you need 2GB for every channel you are trying to collect.  And that is assuming there is no copying of data in the driver or your code.  Since I notice plots on your VI, if you attempt to plot this data (plotting 32 megasamples is kind of ridiculous to begin with), you'r eprobably using a lot more than the 4GB of memory to just store the measurement.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,262 Views)

@joshmont wrote:

System info:

Windows XP Pro SP3

3 GB RAM (4 GB installed...)

I assume that is 32bit WIndows XP. Cranking VM to 10GB will have no effect, all you can use is 3GB.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,253 Views)

Ah, thank you for reminding me how to do math. Smiley Happy This probably the case.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,249 Views)

In a nutshell- Yes LabVIEW can't find that much memory- your code is tearing HUGE chunks that are wasted on the FP and bits that don't matter.

OK, you do not want to use the niScope Multi Read WDT.vi since it assigns the readings as arrays on DBLs-  way more memory than you need since the digitizer is an 8 bit digitizer anyhow. 

Use the ni Scope Read (poly) vi on the Ni Scope acquisition pallate and select the 2D U8 instance to immediatly reduce your memory needs by a factor of 8.  Second, delete the waveform indicator to remove another unneeded copy of the data. now youve got 1/16 of the memory filled with no loss of information.  And, as mentioned. you don't need to graph every point- the graph (or any indicator) requires a copy for display that is seperate from the data the BD operates with.  so we could get close to a 32x improvemnt without much work.

Then take a look at this KB article on managing large data sets in LabVIEW- its a must read.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,239 Views)

... Use the ni Scope Read (poly) vi on the Ni Scope acquisition pallate and select the 2D U8 instance ...

I'm not sure what this means. When I select the ni Scope Read (poly) vi, I have "Single" & "Multi" Waveform options and then "Waveform" or "Cluster" options in each of those. I need both channels, so I'm using the "Multi" + "Waveform". Can you try explaining this selection again?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,221 Views)

Ni Scope> acquisition >pallate

it is a sub palatte of the niScope functionsSmiley Wink

those (Advanced ) functions are there for a reason>>>  Like, to provide users with advanced functionanityUntitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,197 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

Ni Scope> acquisition >pallate

Yes, as you can see from my previous post, I am already using the niScope Read (poly) vi. My question was regarding your comment about selecting the "2D U8 instance". I don't know how your terminology maps onto the actual options that I've shown in the image and my text above.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,171 Views)

Sorry about that I managed to confuse myselfSmiley Surprised

Fetch (poly)

here's a snippet

Ex fetch.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,158 Views)

Thanks, I'll try that version and report back!

Message 10 of 10
(3,143 Views)