LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LabVIEW 2016 fully 64-bit compliant?

Solved!
Go to solution

As recently as LabVIEW 2015, the "conventional wisdom" (which, I confess, I followed, myself) was "Install 32-bit LabVIEW on 64-bit Windows unless you were doing really Big Data stuff on a PC with Big Memory".  I (mis?)understanding was that this was particularly important with Device Drivers, and possibly with RT.  I also (thought I) heard that NI was currently heading LabVIEW to a "pure" 64-bit platform.

I meant to ask at NI Week, but in the excitement of it all, I forgot -- should we now be considering installing LabVIEW 64-bit on our Windows 10 x64 platforms?  What about LabVIEW RT platforms, including PXI controllers?  [Hmm -- I didn't follow my own advice on the Forums and do a simple Google search -- just a second ...]

OK, the Web seems to say that LabVIEW 2016 has "more support for 64-bit computing".  Maybe it is now time to take another piece of my own advice and "Do the Experiment" -- maybe I'll build a "pure" 64-bit system and see if I can port my LabVIEW RT code to it ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,405 Views)

Well, you can actually install both side-by side.

This page instructs you to refer to the various product readme file for version 2016, but the for example the readme file for LabVIEW 2916 cannot currently be found (i.e. not listed here, good luck finding it on ni.com. I can find the linux and mac versions, but not for windows) .. 😮

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,364 Views)

"...readme file for LabVIEW 2916"

Well, no wonder. They probably will not write that file for another 899 years!

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,358 Views)
It's accurate within a few pixels on the Android keyboard... 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,352 Views)

The other thing I haven't (yet) been able to find is LabVIEW Real-Time 2016 (which I need, but I guess is not "ready for download" yet).

Bob Schor

P.S. -- The 2016 install from the Download doesn't have (in its ReadMe) anything about 32/64 options that I could find.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,348 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob_Schor

OK, the answer to my question is "No!".  From NI, we have

• The Real-Time Module is compatible with LabVIEW (32-bit) only. Therefore, you must have LabVIEW (32-bit) installed even if you use a 64-bit OS.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,319 Views)