LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid suffix

HI, I am new to Labview and I am tasked by my teacher to write a program to control instruments, I done a program and when I test it, the first error that pops up on the screen of the instrument is "Invalid Suffix". Anyone know what does this mean?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,840 Views)
Please more info and a screenshot of your block diagramm.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,829 Views)

emo-

It would help a LOT if you told us what specific instrument you were trying to communicate with.  Even better- post a link to the user's guide for the instrument.  BEST YET- read the user's guide for the instrument.(to answer your question we will need to read the manual so, why shouldn't you read it too?)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 9
(3,816 Views)

labview program.GIF

well, this is the program using the building blocks the NI provided for the instrument and attached is the manual. Thx.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,779 Views)

oops, realized the image can't quite be seen. Hopefully this is better.

labview program.GIF

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,777 Views)

In all likelyhood one of those VIs has a bug in it that was never caught. The error you are getting is a consequence of reading the error queue at the end of the command string. The instrument is telling you it received a command with an incorrect suffix. You will need to find out which one it is. The best way to do this is by a process of elimination. Use only half of the VIs and see if the error query returns an error. If not, it has to lie in the other half. Then, do the same thing (take half) with the half that has the error. Eventually you will find the VI that has the problem. Then you can look at the code to see whether it needs to be further dissected or whether you can spot the error by looking at how the commands are created.

If you are able to identify the culprit, but you don't know enough about LabVIEW, then post the offending VI and someone can try to find the problem.

One side note: You should make sure that the instrument doesn't have any errors in its queue to begin with. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,765 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

In all likelyhood one of those VIs has a bug in it that was never caught.

If you are able to identify the culprit, but you don't know enough about LabVIEW, then post the offending VI and someone can try to find the problem.

One side note: You should make sure that the instrument doesn't have any errors in its queue to begin with. 

Great advice!!  The driver you are using is allowing an invalid parameter to be written.  The most likely source / cause will be the set-up VIs and its almost a given that two parameters that you are writting are incompatable (such as setting a resolution that cannot be used with the currently selected span).  If this is one of those cases - the driver is not technically the problem and does not need revision because it is reporting the real error that somebody asked the instrument to do something impossible.  (or a layer 8 problem- insane object between CTR and Chair).

IF it is a unresolved bug in the driver We can post it to the correct location so it can be updated and no one else will have to lose time with the vi.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,741 Views)

Hi all I am a bit understand about Lab View 6.1 programing las time, after a view years I never use it anymore. Now I have been working again with Lab View 11.

My question : How to program LIN with Lab View

Thanks

Agus H

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,095 Views)
You have hijacked an old and unrelated thread. Please create a new thread for your question. Probably in the Industrial Communication board.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,086 Views)