From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interphasing Velmex motor and MULTIX ME100 detector together using Labview

Hi,

I am new to Labview and would appreciate suggestions and guidance in completing the following task:

I am trying to connect the interphases of (a)MULTIX ME100, (b)EMD technologies Epsilon High Voltage generator along with (c)VELMEX motors to make it easy for user to interphase between these three stand-alone systems.

The MULTIX ME100 detector uses a Giga Ethernet Link; EMD technologies Epsilon High Voltage generator's external controller must communicate with the generator through the use of serial protocol(CANBUS or RS232) proprietary to EMD Technologies Incorporated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,988 Views)

You might be able to interface with the ME100 via Ethernet communication and the VISA protocol.

Since the generator communicates through a serial port, I'd suggest looking at how to connect it this way and interfacing with the VISA API as well.

I found a previous forum post that says the motor is controlled with ASCII characters. If this is the case, you could try sending those characters with the VISA API in LabVIEW.

Message 2 of 6
(2,939 Views)

So the Multix detector's API is C based, and we have found an external console(attached) for our EMD Technologies Generator. We would appreciate guidance how we can directly connect this console to labview code for the user to change things using labview and by not interacting with this console. Basically our idea is to limit users ability to change certain things only without worrying about other options which should be maintained at default. How should we go doing this and connecting it to MULTIX detector?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,922 Views)

You can open the executable on your system with the System Exec function in LabVIEW. This would only run the exe file though.

(How Do I Run an Executable or External File from within LabVIEW?)

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/5CF9526FF069EA8E862564C400579DBA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,916 Views)

But we don't want to have all these options and just run the executable...instead we got hold of serial protocol for external controller for our EMD generator using which we can send instructions to the generator as hex/bits...something like seven bytes are required to be send...I have never worked with this before and I am curios if I can do something like send 7 bytes as mentioned on page 35 of my attached file...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,903 Views)

You should be able to send data to to the EMD generator with CAN frames using the NI-CAN API or the NI-XNET API.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,893 Views)