From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface of current session not controller in charge

My setup is LabView 2010 with NI Visa 5.4.1 and NI 488 3.1.2 with a laptop connected to an E5071C Network Analyzer via Ethernet cable. Direct connect no router or switches or network, and the Analyzer has a static IP. I configure it in NI MAX using the auto discovery of VXI-11 and the checkbox enabled for show legacey non 488.2 devices. It shows under device interfaces in MAX as TCPIP0::<ip address>::gpib0::INSTR. From NI MAX, I can Validate the connection and get a window that says successful Visa session opened.

My problem is when I open the VISA Test Panel and try to write an IDN query, I get an Error: Interface associated with Current Session is not the controller in charge. If I delete my device from MAX and rediscover it as a TCPIP with a RAW Socket, I don't get any error using the Visa Test Panel. But then my program runs extremely slow using the E5071C instrument drivers through a raw socket connection. I'm at a loss and there is very little helpful info on solving this Controller in Charge error? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,525 Views)

Do you have the manual for the E5071C?  The command that you had MAX send to this device looks like a standard GPIB query, but is this what the E5071C is expecting?  If not, you might not get a meaningful response from MAX.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,477 Views)

The command that MAX is sending is just a normal SCPI command that the E5071C uses. I just don't understand the Interface not the controller in charge error labview is complaining about. I'm using the NI labview instrument drivers for the E5071C. Just can't figure out why a straight Ethernet to Ehternet connection is giving me such a hassle? This program worked "as is" when I developed it 3 years ago. I was asked to bring it back to life and make some updates. I have updated the NI Visa and Max to be the latest version compatible with Labview 2010. Again, if I configure the device in MAX as an IP address with a raw socket, then i get no errors doing reads and writes in the Visa Test Panel, but then the execution of the program is really slow. I mean, something that used to take 3 seconds is now taking minutes.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,471 Views)

Do you have any other GPIB instruments connected? Also, in the resource name is there another number between gpib0 and INSTR? If there are multiple instruments, another one could be set as the System Controller, in which case this post may be of interest to you:

Passing Controller In Charge Privileges Between Multiple Bus Controllers

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Program-Drafts/Passing-Controller-In-Charge-Privileges-Between-Multi...

Madison T
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,449 Views)