LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface HP/Agilent 4145 with PC

Solved!
Go to solution
HPIB and GPIB are exactly the same thing. Hewlett-Packard invented the communications protocol and it was originally called HPIB (Hewlett-Packard Instrument Bus). When it was standardized by the IEEE, it became known as the GPIB (General Purpose Interface Bus). The only people that call it HPIB now are HP or Agilent employees. HP and NI make controller cards that conform to the same standards and I think that if the NI card cannot detect the instrument, a controller card from HP will not work any differently. Per your description, the instrument prevents any other instrument from being detected. That is not normal and as I said, indicates a bad GPIB interface on the 4145.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(2,192 Views)
Thanks a lot.

That seems to be quite convincing reason.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(2,183 Views)
I have the same question with you! I can not find 4145 with MAX too. How can we solve it?
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(2,035 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Suchit

Hey I figured out. For me, the problem was changing the settings with HPIB Control Switch. There is a control switch at rear end of HP 4145 and when I received the instrument (e-bay product) someone had changed the control settings. So go through the manual and change the switches accordingly. You should be able to connnect and program Agilen/HP Semiconductor Analyzer normally.

Regards,

SUCHIT

Suchit Shah
Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering,
Northeastern University,
BOSTON
MA 02115

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(2,026 Views)

Thanks a lot. According to your suggestion. The control switch of my 4145 is 10001(A1-A5), which is the same with the manual. Is the GPIB address 17 in this case? Is it necessary to start the instrument correctly with driver floppy? Meanwhile, I can't find this instrument with MAX too.

My email address is lxhissp@gmail.com.  Would you mind contacting with me ?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(2,019 Views)
The default GPIB address is 17. You do not need floppy drive to boot the instrument.  Make sure your GPIB cable and NI PCI Card on your pc are working properly and you are able to detect other instruments. Do not connect HP 4145 in star connection if your are interfacing more than one instrument through GPIB. Let me know if you are still stuck with problem and not able to detect Agilen/HP using Measurement & Automation Explorer.
Suchit Shah
Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering,
Northeastern University,
BOSTON
MA 02115

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(2,015 Views)

Dear Shah

I am sure my GPIB cable and NI 488 card are working properly, because it can control other instrument properly(Keithley current source 220). When I use NI488 card to control 4145, I remove all other instruments. In this way, I still can not detect it Agilen/HP using Measurement & Automation Explorer.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(1,990 Views)

lxhissp,

Are the 6th and 7th bits, the delimiter and the EOI enable, set to off on the HPIB control switch?  Have you tried enabling them and using MAX to set up using an EOI byte?

Ben

National Instruments
Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(1,957 Views)

I have the same problem, MAX cannot detect HP4145 instrument. What should I look for? Any special drivers etc.?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(1,449 Views)

Hello,

I recommend following the different steps that were listed above.  The solution to the previous person's problem was that their control switch wasn't setup properly.  You might want to go through the manual and make sure all the switches are correct for your application.  If your GPIB device is communicating successfully with other instruments, and not with the 4145, it is probably the instrument, and you might want to verify that it is working correctly.  Have you tried sending *IDN? through test panels to the device to see if you can get an identity response?

Regards,

Matt

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,430 Views)