From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interacting with labview with my own developed scritpting language.

Hi all,

I am Divya.

My aim :

I need to develop a programing language to interact with Labview such that the script should call labview front panel, execute the given task and front panel shold give back the result to the script.

I want to achieve this by using my own developed programing language (Valid reasons are there why not to use already exixting scripts which I dont want to discuss here as it is not relevant).

My idea :

As developing a new scripting language is a big task I am planning to start with Python scripting. I am trying to interact with labview using python script for now.

My problem :

As I am fresher to this field I dont know the possible ways to interact with Labview using python scripting. (Except using Labpython). If there is any way to achieve this please guide me on this.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,831 Views)

The easiest way sounds like a command prompt thing, your VI can read the arguments and react to them, then generate a system out, file or similar.

Depending on how advanced you want the scripting to be this can be rather easy or extremely hard.

You can e.g. always use one command per line in the format [command]([args separated with semicolon])

Then cut the string at '(', send the first part to a case structure and handle the rest inside.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,817 Views)
How does python connect to ActiveX servers? LabVIEW is one with methods to run, set controls, and get indicator values.

For a .net example, see https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-25663

Despite what you say, seems a waste of time unless you are a computer science student.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,805 Views)

Hi 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,728 Views)
It's not clear at all. What is bifercate? There are numerous string conversion functions. Please provide an entire example of the string.

p.s. Are you doing something completely different now than your original question? It sounds like you are calling python from LabVIEW instead of calling LabVIEW from python.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,713 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,677 Views)
What sort of VI? How are you passing the values? I still don't know what bifurcate is and you apparently have not looked at the conversion functions on the string palette. There is also the Scan From String function. For the operand, just pass the operation as a string to a case statement.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,673 Views)
p.s. After getting the strings and converting if necessary, you can write to a local variable.

In my opinion, using LabVIEW's ActiveX server is better since you don't need to write custom VIs.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,672 Views)

Hi 

Thanks. I could do it using conversions in string palette.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,647 Views)