From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration of sbRIO9607 RMC serial ports with LV-RT VISA?

Solved!
Go to solution

How to include additional Serial ports though RMC connector on sbRIO9607 using VISA?

More detailed expressed: sbRIO9607 (single board RIO) can have additional RS232 serial ports added through the RIO Mezzanine Card (RMC) port using the general IO pins.

In the RIO Mezzanine Card Design Guide: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375536a.pdf on page 24,25  it says about this

You can use any FPGA pins to implement additional RS-232 ports.
Number of interfaces:
• sbRIO-9607—4 (Serial2, Serial3, Serial4, Serial5)

Provided the necessary RMC board electronics interfaces to an appropriate RS-232 or RS-485 serial transceiver on the RMC design as described in the above document is available.

Question:
A) Suppose that the LabVIEW-RT should be able to communicate through this port (or ports). Does one have to implement a serial port FPGA block in the FPGA?

B) If so, how do I define and connect this as a SerialX port to LV-RT such that it can be addressed using VISA standard interface VI's?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,898 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author heel

heel wrote:

Question:
A) Suppose that the LabVIEW-RT should be able to communicate through this port (or ports). Does one have to implement a serial port FPGA block in the FPGA?

B) If so, how do I define and connect this as a SerialX port to LV-RT such that it can be addressed using VISA standard interface VI's?

A) No, this is handled automatically.

B) When you create a CLIP (Component-Level IP) for your RMC device, you define which lines are used for the serial port, as shown in the screenshot below:

peripheral configuration.png

Message 2 of 4
(2,847 Views)

nathand,

thanks a lot. Exactly what I was needing. So the CLIP tool is the magic key here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,840 Views)

Can you please guide me how to access the onboard serial port of sbrio 9607. I've been trying to access the serial port from the last week but couldn't able to fix the problem neither I'm able to use other nor the onboard although I'm following the procedure. Please tell me. Thanks 

Message 4 of 4
(2,507 Views)