cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integer Graph Labels on Error Bars

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Trying to do a relatively simple stats VI which displays the mean estimates and the error bars associated with them.  When I set the x-axis on the error bar graph to

Properties - Display Format - Type - Decimal

The tick marks appear like 

0 2 2 4 4 6 6 8 8 ... 20 20

Rather than the increasing sequence

0 1 2 3 4 5

The floating point representation is displayed ok, but it would be better to have integer values.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Martin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,124 Views)

I ran your code and generated the following graph:Graph with Error Bars.png

I then went into the Graph Properties, turned off AutoScale on the Y Axis, set the minimum to 0 and the maximum to 5 (which did most of the work, but still left the grid markings 0.00, 1.00, etc), then went to Display Format and changed the Y display to Decimal, giving this:Graph with Error Bars, Revised.png

I did this "manually", looking at the graph.  You can also do this programmatically, using Graph Property Nodes.  You'll need to find the Max and Min of the Error Bars yourself, and if you want integer scale labels, will need to do the appropriate rounding up and down.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 6
(3,090 Views)

Hi, Thanks for replying.  I was mainly interested in the problem of integers on the x-axis, but somehow fiddling with the settings may be the best workaround.  I do know the maximum number of iterations and could possibly program this, but I was after the display evolving so it could be paused near the start and the graph looked at in detail.  Then letting it run its course and seeing the general shape at the end.  Fixing the x-axis min and max wouldn't allow this in this case.

However, I'm still surprised about the doubling up of the integers on the x-axis as it does look strange (at best).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,071 Views)

Hi MartinQ,

I'm still surprised about the doubling up of the integers on the x-axis as it does look strange

See this:

check.png

Setting a reasonable formatting shows the "problem": when rounding to integer display "bankers rounding" is used. (It's default rounding behaviour for floating point numbers!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 6
(3,068 Views)

Yeah, that's what I'd done as a workaround.  For the students who will be looking at it though, it would be more obvious if only the sample integer index was displayed on the x-axis, rather than floating point numbers.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,060 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author martinq

Using the 

Create - Property Node 

to set the Xscale.Minimum and Maximum and then hooking the maximum into the loop in the block diagram gives the display I was after (vi attached).  Still a bit surprised at the auto formatting display though. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,057 Views)