From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing an USB driver

Solved!
Go to solution

Hei,

My goal is to establish USB bulk communication between an USBdevice and Labview. I have been following this procedure: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4478/en/ and used NI-VIsa Driver Wizard.

Everything went fine till I  have to create cat file. This I have to do  because my OS is 8 and in oder to get "allowance" to install the drivers I need to have it digitally signed. Appereantly it should be at location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin\x86

But I can't  find the in2cat exe nowwhere. I reinstalled the the windows kit where the inf2cat appereatly is couple of times. So,

How do I get to inf2cat?

Is there any other "cosy "way to establish USB communication?

Any recommendations or advices are also appreciate.

thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,812 Views)
What sort of USB device is it? It's almost always a mistake to try and use the wizard unless you have full information on the protocol used. Is it a design of yours?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,798 Views)

It is just a simple microcontroller that ia already programed and the only way to acces it, is through usb. Also everything is provided VID-PID, endpoints with pipes, command syntax... to establish the protocol. Other protocols I2C and SPI are not document. So, that's why I thought to use NI-VISA driver wizard 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,781 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author D_1

Hi,

Does it work if you try to disable the "Safe Drivers" setting in 8?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-can-i-install-hardware-with-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-8/

Best Regards,
T Simon
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,725 Views)

Simon, thanks a ton. You are a life saver 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,687 Views)