Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer 8.0 complains about nonexistent files being "not valid LabVIEW files"

When running the installer, two messages pop up in sequence:

1. "The file ...\/undo is not a valid LabVIEW file."
2. "The file ...\/qnm is not a valid LabVIEW file."

Both files do not exist.

Additionally, after clicking "OK", each time the application being installed launches and has to be quit before the installer proceeds.

Any hints are welcome!

Cheers,

Harald
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,588 Views)
Those files were not accidently put in your project or your source files of your installer??  I know that you said that the files do not exist.....

By do not exist, do you mean that you have not created them or that they are not on your computer??  Does it actually give the location of the files or does it say Vqm... does not exist??

As for the application launching, do you have the .exe set to run after the install in complete?? Or some other program to run after the install is complete??  You can check this under the avdanced tab in the installer settings.  If you do have an exe set yo run after installation, try to not have it run and see if you get the same problems.

I did a quick google search, and found that there was a number of hits that contained labview and a Trojan virus named Vundo.  You may want to try running virus and spyware scans and see if this resolves your problem.

Post your results and any further questions.

Kenny
Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,574 Views)
Hello Kenny,

the files are definitely not on the computer, neither before nor after running the installer.

The location reported is the directory I designated to hold the .exe and the installer.

I have nothing set to be executed after installer completion.

A virus scanner runs anyway every morning. I might try a different one, but I do not expect much from that.

Thanks a lot for responding!

Harald
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,567 Views)
Harald, did the installed app function normally after the goofed-up install?

Anyone, I have the same problem as described. Is there any reason for this behavior? It occurs and launches the application after completing each step of the installation (run after install is not selected). I'm having trouble with my executable anyway and I'm wondering if the installer is part of my problem. This is my first LV8.0 install. I guess I'll try it on another machine.

Message Edited by millerwd on 02-08-2006 11:11 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,520 Views)
As far as I could tell, the installed application worked. I did, however, not spend much time on testing. After some additional frustration with LabVIEW 8 (slow startup, long response delay of "Properties" dialog, indicator groups moving wildly when de-grouped) I went back to version 7.1.

Harald
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,508 Views)

I believe that the actual Labview complaint is that the files "/undo" and "/qnm" are not valid Labview files. (the "V" is actually part of the path, i.e., ...\ /undo without the space between \ and /. In any case, I experienced the same difficulties (including launching ofthe application twice during installation) and pursued it (because this makes for a very unprofessional looking installer to be distributing to my clients). I discovered that, in my case, the error was happening when I did a build which placed the installer in a path that looked like this:

...\xxxx Installer\Volume...

where "xxxx" is the name of my application (i.e., xxxx.exe). When I either changed the build path for the installer to be just:

...\Volume... (i.e., eliminated the subdirectory bearing the name of the application)

or simply removed the "Volume" folder from that path and placed it elsewhere (like on the desktop - again so that the "Volume" folder was not preceeded in the path by a folder bearing the name of the installer) before launching the installer, the errors previously encountered during installation, vanished.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,425 Views)