LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of LabVIEW 2012 SP1 FPGA Module with LabVIEW 2012 SP1 64 bit on a Windows 7 X64 machine.

Solved!
Go to solution

I installed both 32 bit and 64 bit LabVIEW 2012 SP1 on a Windows 7 X64 machine. After that, I installed FPGA Module SP1. While the FPGA module installed in the 32 bit version completely and could develop fpga projects on that, the FPGA interface didn't install on the 64-bit version. Has anyone had this issue prior?

The knowledge base document 5WMF8NQ2 tells it is feasible.

I tried repairing the installed module, removing and reinstalling the module. Nothing has helped me to get FPGA interface on a 64 bit Host VI. Any suggestions? Adding the individual vis through editing functions palette looks a tedious process and the palette is not completely functional.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,326 Views)

Hi Badri15,

Does your 64-bit installation have any FPGA functions in it's Functions Palette? LabVIEW 2012 64-bit should only have a portion of the FPGA functions available in 32-bit.

As explained in the KB you linked to, LabVIEW 2012 64-bit only supports FPGA Host Communication. You can't develop or compile FPGA Vis in 64-bit LabVIEW. You can only open a reference to a precompiled bitfile. 

I hope this helps!

Emily C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,296 Views)

I know that I can't develop or compile on 64 bit LabVIEW. I want to communicate to FPGA through host communication from the 64 bit Host VI as I need to utilize more RAM space on the host system.

My host VI function palette doesn't have the any function under FPGA Interface module option after installing the FPGA module toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,288 Views)

Hi Badri15,

If you open NI License Manager, and expand your LabVIEW 2012 64-bit install, does the FPGA module show up under Modules? If it does show up, what colour is the square next to it? 

What version of the NI-RIO drivers do you have installed? You should be able to find this under Software in Measurement and Automation Explorer.

Thank you,

Emily C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,274 Views)

In NI License Manager, under LabVIEW 2012 SP1, FPGA Development module shows up in green. But, it doesn't specify whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit LabVIEW. 

The version of NI-RIO drivers installed is 12.1

Thanks,

Bharadwaj (Badri)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,266 Views)

Hey Badri,

What order did you do your software installation in? I want to make sure that you did LabVIEW 32-bit, LabVIEW 64-bit, FPGA Module and then the RIO driver. I believe the only order that matters is FPGA Module after 32-bit, and then NI-RIO last... A 64-bit MSI is packaged on the Labview FPGA DVD and is also provided for the NI-RIO installer. When run on a 64-bit machine, the MSI will install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the host interface... Is this not what happened for you?

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,260 Views)

Hi T-REX$,

I installed from the files downloaded from NI website, followed by the update manager.

The order of installation was 32 bit LabVIEW, 64 bit LabVIEW, FPGA Module and finally RIO drivers. The 64 bit MSI might have not installed on my computer. The result is I don't see the FPGA module installed under LabVIEW 64 bit on Measurement and Automation Explorer.

Thanks,

Bharadwaj (Badri)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,252 Views)

I see you have a service request open with one of our AEs. I'll work with Dave to get through some troubleshooting steps for you, and then we can come back here to post the solution. Thanks!

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,248 Views)

Hi T-REX$,

I posted here to check if any other member had same issue prior to me and solved it. My development has been curtailed due to this issue.

Thanks,

Bharadwaj (Badri)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,246 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Badri15

I solved the issue. Had to repair each and every part of the driver separately for LabVIEW 2012 SP1 64-bit installed on non-default drive. You may have to copy paste some files depending on the folder it installed.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,205 Views)