cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Builder error

Error message from Install Build

LabView 2014 on Windows 7

What might this mean?

Call Library Function Node in NI_MDF.lvlib:MDFProdInfoList_Close.vi->CDK_DistParts_GetInstalledProducts_CORE.vi->CDK_DistParts_GetInstalledProducts.vi->CDK_Validate_DistParts_2010.vi->IB_MSI.lvclass:Engine_PreBuild.vi->IB_MSI.lvclass:Build.vi->CDK_Engine_Main.vi->CDK_Build_Invoke.vi->CDK_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,614 Views)

It might mean there's a problem with an installation of some NI software. The build should dump a debug log named something like My Project_My Installer.log into %temp%. We'd need to look at the log to see why NI_MDF.lvlib:MDFProdInfoList_Close.vi is throwing an error.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,586 Views)

It means it's broke,,, Smiley Very Happy

Seriously though folks, this sort of error can unfortunately occur because it is possible for you to create an application that will build correctly, and the standalone will even operate, but you can't build an installer for it. What is the error number you are getting?

I have seen this sort of error arise for a variety of reason -- none of which make any kind of logical sense:

• A VI that isn't being used but is in a library that is being used, is broken 
  • A VI that isn't being called is missing from a library that isn't being directly used
  • Broken code in disable cases of conditional enable and disable structures

Basically, a good place to start is to go through the "Dependencies" and fix anything that shows up as broken -- even if it has nothing to do with your current application.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,584 Views)

There is nothing in C:\Temp.

I cannot create an installer in either LV2013 or LV 2014, for any program.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,536 Views)
So what you're saying is that even is you write a simple program that does nothing but add two numbers together, you still can't build an installer. Correct? Some more questions:

You mention LV2013 and 2014. Assuming 2013 was already on the computer, did it work before you installed 2014?

Has this ever worked?

One way or another, it's beginning to sound like Bob's gut reaction was right. You may need to uninstall everything from NI and reinstall it. Even if 2013 did work at one point and installing 2014 hosed something up, it's not clear that reinstalling just 2014 would fix what the first bad install broke.

You can try repairing the application builder installation for both versions first, sometimes that works.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,526 Views)

Back from vacation last week, so just now catching up on this thread.

@hartzde wrote:

There is nothing in C:\Temp.

I cannot create an installer in either LV2013 or LV 2014, for any program.

The %temp% folder for your system is likely under C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Temp, and not C:\Temp, unless the %temp% environment variable has been modified. Take a look there, or while logged in, Start >> Run >> %temp% >> click 'OK'

As far as *which* software might have an install issue, it's probably not the "App Builder" itself, but some product being included in your installer from the Additional Installers page of the installer builder editor. The error in NI_MDF.lvlib:MDFProdInfoList_Close.vi would happen right after enumerating a list of NI installers to be included with your installer during a build. This is where the detailed log would come in handy.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,455 Views)