From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting the IP address into FTPclient.exe

Hello All,

I'm wondering if there is a way to insert the IP address into the FTPclient.exe and launch it?  I've seen this post and mpencke echos pretty much all of my concerns.

- I don't want to reinvent the FTP utility.

- I don't want to have to go through MAX

- I don't want my users to have to download a separate piece of third party software and learn how to use it (if I can help it).

All I need to do is display files and allow the user to browse through them, delete files, and on rare occasion, transfer one or two.  The FTPclient has everthing I need right there.  This will be a cleanup action, so even this will rarely be done.

Back to mpencke's post, the way I read it nobody really answered his quetion, he simply assumed it is not possible outside of MAX based on the responses going elsewhere.  Is there a way to populate the IP address of the FTPclient?  If not, can somebody confirm that it is not possible and explain why?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,340 Views)

Not sure about the FTPClient.exe, if its just a windows command line you should be able to use it through the terminal vi.  

Why not use the built in FTP fucnitoins in labview, they work nicely and have everything that you could want.  You dont have to go throuh MAX (not sure why you would have to for FTP).  The ftp functions are in the Data Commuications >> Protocols >> FTP menu

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,336 Views)

In order to use the windows ftp.exe via SysExec, you need to look at the ftp help on command line arguments.  In particular -s:filename, which allows the ftp client to run a scripted set of commands while inside of a session.  The idea being that you generate the file progrmatically, and then execute it via SysExec.

FTP [-v] [-d] [-i] [-n] [-g] [-s:filename] [-a] [-A] [-x:sendbuffer] [-r:recvbuf
fer] [-b:asyncbuffers] [-w:windowsize] [host]

-v Suppresses display of remote server responses.
-n Suppresses auto-login upon initial connection.
-i Turns off interactive prompting during multiple file
transfers.
-d Enables debugging.
-g Disables filename globbing (see GLOB command).
-s:filename Specifies a text file containing FTP commands; the
commands will automatically run after FTP starts.
-a Use any local interface when binding data connection.
-A login as anonymous.
-x:send sockbuf Overrides the default SO_SNDBUF size of 8192.
-r:recv sockbuf Overrides the default SO_RCVBUF size of 8192.
-b:async count Overrides the default async count of 3
-w:windowsize Overrides the default transfer buffer size of 65535.
host Specifies the host name or IP address of the remote
host to connect to.

Notes:
- mget and mput commands take y/n/q for yes/no/quit.
- Use Control-C to abort commands.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,331 Views)

Thanks for presenting me with options, but I'm asking a specific question - Is there a way to populate the IP address of the FTPclient.exe?

The FTPclient.exe, which is a prebuilt executable that is shipped w/ LV and located at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\FTPClient.  The FTPclient.exe which already exists and does all the functions I need it to do without me coding or developing anything at this point.  The proven, been there for generations, application which National Instruments itself uses within MAX to do file transfers.  That is the exact, singluar executable that I'm asking about.

Go to the location I mentioned above and launch it from there.  It will launch, but Target IP Address control has no manner in which to enter the IP address.  If you can provide me an answer on how to get an IP address into that control and allow the FTPclient.exe application to work, I'll accept it and kudo the hell out of that solution.

As for options, I'm aware that I can write code to do the various functions I'm looking to do, whether it is in LV FTP VIs, command line arguments, or a number of scripting languages.  There is even an example VI that does most of what I need to do in the Find Examples area which is a little rough around the edges.  All of these are fall back options that will require me to write more code and spend time on.  I'm keeping these in my back pocket as plan B.

More on options...  I'm open to any option that saves me from coding the majority (or entire) thing and can browse folders/files, delete files, and transfer files to the client, all packaged in a clean, user friendly, easy to use and understand VI or executable, that I can simply package with my application.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,324 Views)