From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting multiple strings into a 1D array

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm a recent beginner to LabVIEW, so take it easy on me. I've been trying to do this for far too long and i figured I'd give the forums a shot. I'm trying to take a 2D array of strings and input them into a 1D array. Sounds simple enough, but for some reason i just can't get it. The array then feeds into a text ring. So for example, say i have an array of dimensions 4x2 [a b c d, e f g h], the output i want is a 1x2 array [abcd, efgh]. However the array could be 4x4 or 4x6, so its not fixed. The text ring lets the user select from the options (2 in this case).

Hopefully I've outlined my problem clear enough for people. Taking the strings from the 2D array and putting them in one string is as close as I've gotten to what i want. I also tried the array to spreadsheet string, but it just gave me one long string. Unless there is something blatantly obvious that i am missing, could someone give me any tips? Also, I'd just like to add that anyone telling me to go read the tutorials, source material etc. I have, trust me. Thoroughly.

I included a picture of the section of code that i am trying to get working. And yes i realize that it won't input anything to the text ring at the moment, that is currently just how i have it saved.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,214 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StavA

Replace the while loop with a For Loop.

Don't use Array Subset, just use auto-indexing tunnels.

Use concatenate strings on your 1-D array and you'll have a single string.

Use auto-indexing tunnels on the output and you'll have a 1-D array of those strings.

(You may need to transpose the 2-D array before feeding it into the For Loop).

Message 2 of 7
(5,206 Views)

Thank you RavensFan for saving me the trouble of posting exactly that (less the warning aobut possible transpose)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 7
(5,203 Views)

You talk about strings, 1D arrays, and 2D arrays and it is confusing.

For example, 4x2 are not dimensions. They probably are the sizes of a 2D array.

[a b c d, e f g h] is not an array unless you tell us what the delimiters mean. Are spaces column delimiters and commas row delimiters?

What is a 1x2 array as follows? [abcd, efgh] Is this a 1D array with two elements, where each element is a string of four characters?

The code you are showing does not help in the understanding.

Please attach a simple VI that has a typical input array containing default data and tell us what the output should look like. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,172 Views)

>> .. 

>> Use auto-indexing tunnels on the output and you'll have a 1-D array of those strings.

Last step is:

Use property Strings of the ring to populate the list and Value (integer up to Strigs size - 1) to select default one.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,168 Views)

You are right, i was not clear enough in stating the syntax of the arrays as it has been a while since i had to do so. The array would then be (using proper syntax):

myArray = { {0,1,2,3}, {3,2,1,0} };  This array having the dimensions 4(column)x2(row). The new array would be subsequently NewArray = { {0123}, {3210}}; Hopefully, this is more clear. I did include the portion of the code that is relevant to the my question at hand.

I appreciate all the quick responses and will try them as soon as I have access. I think RavensFan's proposed solution will work, as this stuff is probably easy for you guys and you know what you are talking about.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,133 Views)

@StavA wrote:

I think RavensFan's proposed solution will work, as this stuff is probably easy for you guys and you know what you are talking about.

Yes, I would use Raven's code. Here's a picture:

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,123 Views)