LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert large string to excel

Hello,

I' have created an vi that it makes an excel file from an array (2D) of srings. The vi I've posted works well except when the size of the string is greater than 16 characters. I supose the Excel Easy table.vi from Report Generation Toolkit converts data string to number, but as the number is larger than 15, excel delete the last character of the number and this character is substituted by a zero (see picture).

So, there is a way to configure the type of text data? I need to change my vi completly and to use ActiveX properties?

Vicen

WinXP/LV2010/LV2011/LV2012

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,272 Views)

You are running into the resolution limits of a double precision floating point number, which is a bit less than sixteen decimal digits (15.95). So I would expect that anything over sixteen digits would be truncated. LabVIEW can handle extended precision numbers, up to 34 digits on some platforms, but Excel cannot.

Using ActiveX directly will not help, since the report generation toolkit you are using already uses ActiveX under the hood.

If you need more resolution than sixteen digits, and you need it in Excel, you will need to split your numbers into two columns which would be added together. Note that Excel cannot do this addition, unless you explicitly do it yourself using VBA macros and arbitrary resolution arithmetic, since you will run up against the sixteen digit limit again, but you will be able to look at the numbers.

Message 2 of 2
(2,244 Views)