From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual settings for multiple users

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

We have a machine which is setup for multiple users. The LabVIEW license is machine based from a network server. I hope what i`m trying to do is licensed correctly. 

Is it possible that every user who logs into the machine will see only the vi's and projects that they are working on and also individual LabVIEW settings. If user A logs in then they can see all the vi's and projects user B has been working on. Also is user B has changed the preferences then user A will see these but might not want those settings, red X at broken wires etc. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,600 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Treble20

I am going to guess no, you won't be able to do that.  Because those settings are stored in LabVIEW.ini in the program's install directory, it is shared by all users.

If there is a way to have LabVIEW.ini be in each user's profile directory, I have yet to hear it.

One thought I have that would be kind of a hack is if you wrote some sort of script at user log in that copies the .ini file from the user's profilie directory to the LabVIEW executable's path in the Programs directory.  Then another script on user logout or shutdown that copies that .ini file back to their profile.

Message 2 of 7
(1,569 Views)

Basically what RavensFan said...

Store a LabVIEW.ini for each user somewhere, then build a program that constantly runs in the background and captures login events. Anytime a user logs on, take that user's .ini file and replace the .ini in LabVIEW directory with it. And at some point, either periodically or on user logoff, update that user's .ini file in its base location.

You might build a case structure in that program and case it on username so if some random person logs on, it doesn't go searching for a non-existent .ini file.

This will also make it to where at the main LabVIEW screen, each user only sees the projects they are working on. The history of things opened is also stored in LabVIEW.ini file, and if each user has their own, each will have their own history.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,559 Views)

Andrew,

Something is wrong with the picture in your signature.  It is not showing up.

The one thing that may complicate the script idea is what happens if user A logs in,  eventually leaves the computer but doesn't log out.  Later user B logs in and uses LabVIEW.  If user A comes comes back in, then the LabVIEW.ini file will be the one that copied from user B.

A situation where multiple users can be logged in at the same time in their own sessions might mess things up.  If you can avoid that, then the scripting method might actually work most of the time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,545 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Andrew,

The one thing that may complicate the script idea is what happens if user A logs in,  eventually leaves the computer but doesn't log out.  Later user B logs in and uses LabVIEW.  If user A comes comes back in, then the LabVIEW.ini file will be the one that copied from user B.

A situation where multiple users can be logged in at the same time in their own sessions might mess things up.  If you can avoid that, then the scripting method might actually work most of the time.

Weird, I'm on Google Chrome and the picture is coming up fine for me (my CLD badge). 

And yeah that could happen. My thought would be that if they want that increased functionality and want that background script to work for them and not mess up, then they have to be diligent about logging off when they're done.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,536 Views)

Hi.

I like the sound of that idea. Hopefully i can figure something out from that idea. As the user logs in via remote desktop and this is set to a single connection the other person will need to log out. We will have a booking system so hopefully the log on log off script should work. 

Thanks for your help. Most useful.

James

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,531 Views)

@FireFist-Redhawk wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

Andrew,

Weird, I'm on Google Chrome and the picture is coming up fine for me (my CLD badge). 

I just tried in Chrome and IE and they aren't showing up there either.  It must be some user's rights issue rather than a browser issue.  Any chance you have that badge saved in your private album rather than public?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,514 Views)