LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing frequency of sound input

A bit of background first.  I am currently trying to build an electronic stethoscope for someone with deafness using Labview 2011 with a myDAQ board

Currently I have managed to input the sound into labview using a microphone and the board, filter the sounds to remove background noise and then listen to the sounds through audio output.  The frequency of the sounds come in at around 200HZ (having used a FFT vi to get this value) and these can by heard fine by me as I have a full adult hearing range.

What I would like to do, is to somehow alter the frequency of this sound so it will become available in an increased frequency range, so that someone with deafness could hear the sound.  I experimented by simply altering the time values on the data acquisition from the myDAQ board, but by doing this it makes the heart beat sounds appear faster than they should which wouldn't be suitable clinically.  

If possible, is there a way to alter these sound waveforms so that they will have a higher frequency so that they will be within the users audible range without losing time or distorting the data?

Please let me know if you would like me to provide more information, it is my first time posting on these boards so I'm unfamiliar with what information I may need to provide.  Thanks in advance for any advice 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,256 Views)

Take the derivative of the signal and add it to the original. That will double the sound frequency of the transitions (but it will add some noise, don't know how quiet your signal is between beats).

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
Message 2 of 4
(2,245 Views)

So if I understand you correctly: What you want to do is pitch shifting.

Maybe this informations will help you get started: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/6219

Best regards

Marco

--
Marco Tedaldi, University of Zurich, CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,229 Views)

Thanks for your help!  Both options look like they could potentially do what's needed.  Will try both within the next few days and I will see how I get on! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,225 Views)