LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Including VI search utility in LV executables

Solved!
Go to solution

To allow my operators to search for "strings of interest" so they'll know which subVI(s) to open for system troubleshooting, how could I include a text search utility as a function in my main VI?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,951 Views)

Sounds like a weird mixture of runtime functionality and development time functionality.

How do you visualize your operators using this?  How would they know which "strings of interest" to look for?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,936 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

Operators are given the text information ('component identifiers' for possible failed components) as output of another (nongraphical) test system.

The tester running LabVIEW has ~25 screens, accessed via buttons on the main menu. I've included 'component identifiers' in controls' and indicators' labels and captions when updating 8 screens that comprise the most complex system (8 buttons on the main menu) so I'd limit my initial trials to that system and those 8 screens. (I'd add a 'search' button as a function for troubleshooting that system, locating it with the group of 8).

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,903 Views)

Is it compiled executable that calls different modules from anywhere (lvlibp, parts of exe, etc), or main menu opens Vis in development environment? So that operator can stop vi, open block diagram and do something?

If operator does not deal with development environment, most probably subVIs do not exist as vis - they have block diagram and most often (not UI subVIs) front panel removed during build. 

It is possible to dynamically get access to VI -> Front panel (if it has not been removed for this subVI) -> Controls -> Labels. So you have data to search for the string operator has entered.

I would better have a manually created list of keywords for each module, and allow operator search these keywords to get modules relevant to the entered keyword (or part of keyword). 

Will this way work?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,893 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MinerHokieRamp

Jeffrey,  From what I'm gathering from this thread is it fairly accurate that what you are dealing with is an "Engineering Evaluation" station to perform root cause analisys of production test failures and / or returned product?

Those can get tricky and need exceptionally clear user's guides and vi documentation.  A search feature would be handy in that case.  I believe OpenG has a dictionary library (I've never played with) that would look-up relevant keywords and provide an associated list of vi-names and potentially vi server referances to the main GUI in order to run and open the FP of specific test modules.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,890 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Jeffrey,  From what I'm gathering from this thread is it fairly accurate that what you are dealing with is an "Engineering Evaluation" station to perform root cause analisys of production test failures and / or returned product?

Those can get tricky and need exceptionally clear user's guides and vi documentation.  A search feature would be handy in that case.  I believe OpenG has a dictionary library (I've never played with) that would look-up relevant keywords and provide an associated list of vi-names and potentially vi server referances to the main GUI in order to run and open the FP of specific test modules.

Yes, it's used by maintenance with occasional assistance from engineering. I'll check the forums for the library.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,822 Views)